Please sign in to post.

Taxi Bus or Tube from Kings Cross to near Lancaster Gate

Our plan is to take the train from Scotland to London on Fri May 29. I have alerts setup to purchase advance tickets as soon as they are available using the Two Together railcard. We arrive into KingsCross Station about 4pm. What’s the best way to get to the apt I have reserved about two blocks north of Lancaster Gate? Taxi, Uber, bus or tube? Will a Friday at 4pm be Mad traffic wise?
And maybe off topic but in general will sights around London be over crowded on Saturday and Sunday? We have Fri May 29 - Wed June3 in London with travel days on each end. Trying to decide what day to visit Kew Gardens, V&A + British Museum, Tower, Westminster Cathedral, etc etc .... I want to see Everything!
Oh one more off topic...do British trains run on time? Last year in Italy they did not🙀 at least the train from Milan to Venice didn’t.

Posted by
4044 posts

You can use this tool to plan travel by mass transit in the city:

https://tfl.gov.uk/

Google Maps has a similar service.

By Tube, you will have to change trains but it still shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes. Buy an Oyster Card for the Tube and surface mass transit; details from the link I posted.

Weekends are busy, especially in tourist season.

Train service is a favourite UK punching bag. An essential resource is www.seat61.com

Posted by
5326 posts

You might find taking the Circle Line from Kings Cross to Paddington avoiding a change won't be much more of a walk depending on where 'two blocks north of Lancaster Gate' exactly is.

Also do you want to see Westminster Cathedral or Westminster Abbey? The latter is the more 'classic' attraction although the former has some interest.

Posted by
8663 posts

I’d Follow Marco’s advice.

From Kings Cross take the Circle or Hammersmith/City Line to Paddington and walk to where ever two blocks north of Lancaster Gate is.

The Lancaster Gate station is on the Central Line and to get to it from Kings Cross would mean a train change. If that isn’t a bother then do it. Believe the change is at Oxford Circus.

FYI Lancaster Gate Station is on Bayswater Road and across from the entrance to Hyde Park at the Italian Gardens. Paddington station is a 10-15 minute walk from Lancaster Gate station.

As noted use the tfl.gov.uk website.

And YES all that you wish to see will be crowded on the weekends and some during the week as well.
It’s London!

Also be sure to research closing times for each
“ must see “ site. Many don’t stay open late!

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks and Yes I see the Circle Line to Paddington and that does look like a good route. I will buy Oyster cards in the station. We will have carry on bags w wheels and backpacks but we are seniors so toting bags over city blocks is a pain. Maybe a taxi from Paddington to the apt on Westbourne? The better to save our strength for Sat crowds.
I read in another post that St Pancras station is worth a look around. Should we take time while we are so nearby?

Posted by
8663 posts

You can look around St Pancras. Food court/stores and in the adjoining Renaissance Marriot is the gorgeous Booking Office bar and restaurant.

In reality it would be a shorter amount of time walking from Paddington than arriving, exiting, walking to the Taxi rank, waiting for one and then being taken to your accommodation. The taxi ride will also be expensive.

But it’s your trip so whatever works best for you.

Posted by
67 posts

Thanks Emma, I understand. I do have the full address just didn’t want to post publicly. I might consider a taxi as we may be just too worn from a long journey. I suppose we can decide once we get there. I did google The Booking Office and a drink there sounds good right now.

Posted by
8663 posts

If you are worn out then definitely splurge for the taxi. There is signage directing you to the taxi cab rank. It is a bit of a stroll so be prepared.

Posted by
317 posts

Friday at 4pm...commute time. London will be mad. Taxi or bus will have to deal with traffic.

Take the Victoria line to Oxford Circus, change to the Central line for Lancaster gate.
Circle line will go direct to Paddington, but I have a pet hate against that particular line as it always seems delayed. Hammersmith & City also go direct - this will require a little walking to get out of Paddington because of where the exit for the H&C is in Paddington.

Posted by
5326 posts

Nowadays both the Circle and Hammersmith & City Lines from Kings Cross to Paddington go to the Bishops Road station at the back of Paddington. To get to the Praed Street Station now usually requires a change at Edgware Road. However the former has the advantage of lifts to the surface whereas the latter has a narrow staircase with a turn on it. Bishops Road is also more convenient if a cab is required, and conceivably even where the OP is heading.

Posted by
231 posts

If your apartment is on Westbourme Terrace, I’d take the 205 bus directly from Kings Cross to where the line terminates at Cleveland Square and walk from there. Of course it depends where you’re actually located, but that’s the only “Westbourne” I can think of that’s close to Lancaster Gate. If you’re on Westbourne Grove, Westbourne Road, Westbourne Gardens, Westbourne Crescent, or any of the other Westbourne prefixed locations then another route may be better.