2 nights in London Westminster hotel
Train back to Manchester to pick up rental mini van
5 nights a Lake District time share near Lancaster
1 day trip to Edinburgh
7 nights in a time share near Leicester
1 night in Manchester
Sunday depart Manchester on Thomas Cook

Here are the questions:
1) What is a good time to allow to get from the gate to the train in Manchester? Round Trip Advance tickets are the most economical as long as we don't miss the train because of a delay on the day of our arrival but the flip side is we don't want to spend to many hours waiting for our departure time.
2) Will these round trip tickets qualify us for some of the 2-4-1 specials within London?
3) London Underground - thinking of getting all day tickets from Saturday and Sunday then a single ticket for Monday. Does this make sense? Don't see the need for an Oyster card.
4) Would like a suggestion for a hotel in Manchester that would be a good place for 1 day of sight seeing.
5) What are the "not to miss" things in the Lake District?
6) What are the "not to miss" things near Leicester?
7) We were thinking of visiting a different pub each night so what would be pub suggestions for each stop.

There will be more questions but this is a great start.

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and inputs.

Bob

Posted by
8889 posts

Why are you picking up the car in Manchester? Are you picking it up from the airport to avoid one-way charges as you are returning it there?
London to Manchester airport involves doubling back via central Manchester. Perhaps pick up the car somewhere else with a direct train from London, like Lancaster station.

Use www.viamichelin.com for planning and estimating road routes, distances and times.

Edinburgh is a long day trip from Lancaster. www.viamichelin.com says (each way):

Time 03h36 with 01h47 on motorways
Distance 255 km with 166 km on motorways
Costs Petrol £29.75

You then have to find parking, which may be a Park-and-ride, and get to the tourist areas. This would be a very long day.

Posted by
40 posts

Just get 1-day travelcards for London. It's not worth the oyster hassle and deposit.

I hope you have already spent more time in London. Two days is not much.

Posted by
16893 posts

There's not usually any extra fee to pick up and drop a car at different cities in Britain, but your choice of a minivan is probably limiting the number of offices that will handle it.

Get some prioritized sightseeing ideas for the Lake District at http://www.ricksteves.com/europe/england/lake-district.

The Guardian newspaper has very tempting coverage of restaurants and pubs, such as this Manchester list: http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/oct/11/manchester-top-10-craft-beer-pubs

Posted by
4684 posts

I'm sure you know this but just to be absolutely clear so you don't make an expensive mistake: there are no direct trains from Manchester Airport to London. The main Manchester station for London trains is Manchester Piccadilly, and you need to take a train from the airport to it.

The best thing to do is book the whole journey from Manchester Airport to London in one go.

Posted by
2 posts

Phillip and Mark,

Thanks for the replay about the London tube and the train. These are most helpful.

Bob

Posted by
1717 posts

Hello Bob M. A day trip to Edinburgh from the Lake District ? I recommend being at Edinburgh two nights.

Posted by
6113 posts

Laura - sorry, but there is a one way drop off fee for most places in the UK - I hired a car at Glasgow airport and dropped it back in the city centre less than 10 miles away and was charged a one-way drop off fee. Unless I was just unlucky with the three times this has happened to me!

Bob - having been at University in Leicester, I am struggling to think of any "not to misses" there! You ought to try a curry one evening as that is one of the country's leading curry centres - can't stand the stuff myself. There is the Richard III centre in Leicester and the market is very lively. A day trip to Rutland Water and Stamford (Burghley House) would be good and if you have time, visit the market towns of Uppingham or Market Harborough. There are few National Trust properties within a short drive of Leicester.

Manchester - I suggest that you check out Trip Advisor recommendations. The city centre is compact and the trams make it easy to get around - parking maybe a problem unless you stay slightly further out and get the tram into the city centre.

Lakes - you do not say which month you are travelling. The Lakes will be over-run around the school holidays - mid July to early September so parking at these times maybe a problem and there will be road congestion. Lancaster is over an hour's ride from say Keswick. Many go there for the walking and there are hundreds of options. Take a boat trip around Lake Windermere; Grasmere; Hawkshead and outside the Lakes, drive through the Trough of Bowland then go to Settle and visit Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales and visit the Wensleydale cheese factory (of Wallace and Gromit fame if you have had these films in the States).