Please sign in to post.

Student ID

We will be bringing our grandson age 17 with us to London the first of June. I have read that with a student ID he can get discounts into attractions. His student iD states 2014-2015 will this work for a student ID?

Posted by
1634 posts

Getting an ISIC (International Student Identity Card) card would probably help. Some student ID cards are recognised, but others may not be simply because the authorities do not know what to check for.

Think if an ISIC card as an IDP for a student and you won't be far off.

Posted by
5311 posts

Many of the better student discounts in general would need the appropriate NUS (UK) or Unidays card (UK, Ireland, New Zealand and Australia). However attraction admissions are likely to accept the ISIC - and this does also have a portfolio of other discounts.

Posted by
28 posts

I looked up international student cards and they seem to be for college students, he is a high school student. Anything that works for them?

Posted by
1634 posts

If the age cut off is under 18s, which is the usual, an official ID should suffice as long as the age is readily ascertainable from it. However when the discount is for a 'student' this is often for people 18+ with a student card such as the ISIC. The problem with admission prices and discounts is there is generally no hard and fast rule as to who qualifies and who does not.

Posted by
28 posts

Will work on getting him this card. Thank you for your help. I hope our grandson loves this trip!

Posted by
1912 posts

Last year in France my daughter just used her "student ID" from her local Junior College. Everyone seemed to accept it fine. Will that not work in London?

Posted by
5311 posts

Many times you will be fine. Other times they might strictly require a recognised international card for non UK students. The ISIC does have some benefits of its own which may make it worthwhile.

Posted by
295 posts

Starting at age 12 one can get an ISIC card as long as they can prove they are a student. You can order it online. Its the official card to get discounts. He could try his regular school id but its not official or universal. They might take it or they might not. Its best to have the official card. I wish I could say it would always work but it can vary from sight and rules depending on where you are from. Sometimes you need to be a EU citizen and other times its just a discount for any student with the ID. They aren't expensive so its still work getting. Hope that helps.

Posted by
28 posts

We have been looking into the ISIC card and it will cost $25 here in the states. We are evaluating if we are going enough places to justify the cost. Thanks for all your help.