Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge

Seeking advice for travel from Salisbury, UK to Stonehenge. We will take the train from Southampton to Salisbury. We won't have a car. It looks like we have two options: taxi and the Stonehenge tour bus. The tour bus is a hop-on hop-off type. The reviews are mixed, everything from horrible to okay. Any one used the Stonehenge tour bus this summer? OR have another option (taxi has an 80USD+ price tag for round trip. There are only two of us.) Thanks!

Posted by
891 posts

Taking the train to Salisbury and then the bus to Stonehenge is the standard do it yourself route for tourists to get there. I'm not aware of any significant negative noise about the bus. You can of course always find negative reviews of anywhere if you look hard enough but if there were real issues I'm sure we would hear more about them.
Inevitably a taxi is going to be an expensive option - the taxi either has to wait until the end of your visit or go away and come back.

Posted by
1656 posts

What we did was to stay overnight in Amesbury. Stu's Taxi picked us up. (He actually picked us up in Southampton, where we arrived on a flight from Edinburgh.) He took us to Salisbury and dropped us off there, and took our luggage to our B and B in Amesbury for us. The next morning, he picked us up very early for our early, inner-circle access to Stonehenge. Then he picked us up from Stonehenge afterward (he is in the area, so did not need to wait around for us) and took us back to our B&B where we had breakfast, packed up, and checked out. Then he picked us up from the B&B and took us to Salisbury for our train to Exeter.

It was an excellent service and made our plans easy to manage without a car.

It's up to you whether or not you think the $80 round trip price tag is worth it. I personally don't think it's that expensive--$40 each way, or $20 pp each way? Seems like a decent price to me.

Anyway, if you're looking for a recommendation, I would highly, highly recommend Stu's Taxi. https://www.facebook.com/stustaxi.co.uk/

Posted by
8399 posts

The difference between being on the first shuttle that arrives at the stones from the visitors’ center and arriving even just an hour or two later is huge. When the day tours all start arriving it is insane.

I would find the transport option that gets you there at opening time. Even if it costs more on transport, it will be well worth it.

Posted by
13991 posts

I've done the shuttle but have not done it this summer nor since Covid.

I did go on Trip Advisor and read the reviews there. It is fair to question that the shuttle bus is called a "tour" because it's not. It's really just transportation out to the stones furnished by the local bus company, Salisbury Reds plus a short narration. I did think it weird that there was no stop at Old Sarum for one poster. I've stopped there on several occasions with the shuttle. If this is a concern I'd certainly ask the driver when you get on in Stonehenge if there are any problems with stopping at Old Sarum.

Where are you going to leave your luggage or is this just a day trip?

Posted by
81 posts

A train to Salisbury and the bus is an easy option and a sensible price.

The ST bus from Salisbury Reds leaves Salisbury hourly on the hour at 1000 to 1600, and arrives (with one stop in between) at 1033, 1133 etc.

Coming back it leaves Stonehenge 10 minutes after it arrives (1043, 1143 etc.) and then also at 1800 and 1900. The first seven return trips stop at The Old Castle, City Centre and Rail Station, final stop at 1114, 1214 etc. The last two go straight to the rail station then to a different city centre location, final stop at 1823, 1923.

It is a hop on/off service but not like a regular city one - as it has so few stops.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks so much for all of the information! We are just doing a day trip from Southampton so don't need to worry about luggage. Happy Travels to you all!! terry