Please sign in to post.

Stonehenge

Hello! Traveling to Great Britain in Sept. and am confused about whether we need to buy tickets for Stonehenge in advance. We do not care to go right up to the stones, but we do have a specific date we will be there. Do we need to purchase online beforehand?
Thank you in advance
Karen

Posted by
16893 posts

Did you read this from Rick's book? I can't really speculate whether September will qualify as high season and likely to sell out. It's definitely not low season.

**Advance Tickets: Prebooking a timed-entry ticket at least 24 hours in advance is the only way to assure you’ll actually get in to the site, which caps the number of visitors per day at 7,000. (Some same-day tickets may be available at the ticket window, but in high season, it’s risky to count on this.) Purchase your ticket online at www.english-heritage.org.uk/stonehenge. After booking a 30-minute arrival window, you’ll receive a confirmation email with your e-ticket. Either print your ticket to present at the site, or bring your booking reference number with you.

Once you're in, you can decide whether to start with the Visitor's Center or get right in line for the shuttle bus to the stone viewing area.

Posted by
13968 posts

But you want to go walk around the stones, right? The regular entry covers the Visitor Center exhibits, the shuttle to and from the stones, and the ability to walk on the path around the stones. The AudioGuide is very good. You can't really see the stones from the Visitor Center itself.

I've been there in Sept 4 times (yes, unlike some I really like this place!). It was still pretty busy but the ticket lines were not outrageous. If you want to buy ahead on the National Heritage site do so. It doesn't look like you are charged any extra (I haven't been on other National Heritage sites I've prebooked). I also just chose a random date in Sept and all times are open so you might watch to see if your date is filling up and book later. If it is making you anxious, do it ahead and scratch it off your to worry about list.

PS I was on tours 3 of the times and the 4th time I was on the public bus from Salisbury and the bus driver steps out and purchases for you which meant no line!

Posted by
1221 posts

If you really don't want to walk up to the stones, you actually have a very good view from the A303 motorway, no ticket purchase needed. During peak travel months, you will often have a somewhat extended view because of the traffic jams that can form on the way into Stonehenge. (I suspect that what seems to be a needed road-widening project in the region simply can't happen because of archaeological concerns- the known extent of the site is really on both sides of the road)

If you do want to get out of the car, a day or two advance purchase is generally quite sufficient and IIRC can also save you some time in the tickets line- the will call line seemed significantly shorter than the one for buying tickets on site. I just saved my purchase confirmation to my phone and showed it at the booth rather than printing it out.

Posted by
1222 posts

Buy them in advance. If you have a specific date you want to go you will want them in advance. Especially if you would like a specific time frame as well. Just there in June. Lots of positive changes to the visitor center etc... Since I was there 18 years ago.

Posted by
15083 posts

I was there in late May. I was with a group so I didn't have to worry about tickets. As I was leaving, however, I noticed the line to buy tickets must have easily had 100 people on it if not more.

Posted by
8889 posts

The A303 is not a motorway, it is a normal single carriageway road.
Like most long distance 'A' roads in the UK, it follows the route of the road that was used for centuries before motor vehicles. As Stonehenge is on an otherwise featureless plain, the obvious way to navigate was head for the stones!

The plan has long been to put the road in a tunnel, but the problem is the amount of archaeological damage digging a tunnel would cause.

Posted by
1221 posts

Yeah, they really need to disturb the area around the A303 as little as possible. Seems like trying to fund a bypass around the whole area would be better than a tunnel or road widening option.

Posted by
330 posts

On our last visit to England, we just drove by and did a quick stop by the fence at Stonehenge. We drove to Avebury were there weren't many visitors and walked amongest the stones. Its free too. Our kids really loved it.

Posted by
140 posts

We went to Stonehenge/Avebury in early June. We bought the Stonehenge tickets online the night before. We arrived at Stonehenge at 9:15 on windy, rainy, (typically English) Tuesday morning. There was no one in line for tickets. There were 5 people on the bus. When we arrived at the stones, there weren't more than 20 people there. I got some wonderful pictures without a single person in the shot. It really was a special experience. When we left an hour or so later, the first tour buses were arriving. One of the workers told us that they expected 4000-5000 by mid-day. My advice, buy in advance, online. Go early.

We also went to Avebury. We walked among the stones, (and sheep droppings). A completely different, but also memorable experience. There were some people there that were having a truly spiritual experience while touching the stones.

Walking in the fields is free, (except for parking). We skipped the exhibits in the little town. They seemed a little pricey and perhaps not so "authentic" as one might think. We met a very friendly docent by the car park. He gave us a good orientation.

Posted by
57 posts

If you are visiting Avebury (which I strongly recommend), then you should also visit Silbury Hill, which is about a mile away. This is a large hill (130 feet high), which was built entirely by hand over 4000 years ago. You are not allowed to walk up it, but you can also visit West Kennet Long Barrow not far away.