Please sign in to post.

Staying in London

My girlfriend and I are going to be in London in July. We are going to rent a flat through AirBnB.

What area of London do you suggest we stay? Obviously, walking distance to the Tube is essential. We also want to feel safe.

Posted by
499 posts

Is there any reason why you'd feel unsafe? I can only answer for myself, but there's nowhere I can think of in London that I'd feel unsafe, particularly in areas popular with tourists. Obviously keep your wits about you, but don't worry unnecessarily.

In terms if where, there's no single place that is within easy reach of all sites, but you are correct in looking for somewhere with a good tube connection. It will mainly come down to budget - personally I prefer the West End, but others have other preferences. So perhaps share your budget, and people can make suggestions. Just a note that if you're renting through Airbnb and similar, make sure it's not social housing, as it cannot be legally let on these platforms.

Posted by
8304 posts

We prefer to stay along the north side of Hyde Park. Paddington, Bayswater or Kensington areas.

Tube stations are quite close at any of those neighborhoods.

Posted by
1211 posts

London is generally pretty safe. I'd agree with Simon on all counts. In some ways the least safe areas are those around the major tourist hotspots in central London, where there are some instances of pickpocketing and the like, in common with other European capitals.

If it's your first time to London, you may want to look at Kensington and Chelsea. This area is popular with overseas visitors from all continents. The areas around the Cromwell Road or Gloucester Road have a range of hotels for various budgets, but you'd need to do a search on AirBnB to see what properties are to let around there. South Kensington may be another search term to use. Earls Court is still within easy reach of the main tourist areas but there may be some more budget friendly places.

I could go on to recommend many other areas but that's a starter. Have you done any searching yourself yet? Does anything take your fancy that you've seen? I'd be happy to offer an opinion on a particular neighbourhood or property, or make some more recommendations based on your interests.

Posted by
32 posts

In London, there will be a lot of options for you. Some of them are Chelsea, Greenwich and Kensington.

Posted by
2122 posts

I went to London for the first time last October.

I stayed at a small bed and breakfast across from Kensington Gardens, on Bayswater Road. it was a wonderful area and very very close to buses and the tube.

Later, when walking towards Victoria Coach Station, I loved the area around Hyde Park and or Victoria Station. If I were ver able to return, I would like to find a place around Victoria Coach Station.

Posted by
1297 posts

You could also look on booking.com for serviced apartments. These will give you the kitchen and living space of an Airbnb but are run like a hotel. I think these can be better because you get a reliable product. Airbnbs vary enormously.

Posted by
3139 posts

You want to stay near the sights you are visiting. The top tourist sights are in the City of London (a.k.a. the City) plus these boroughs’ wards (districts):
City of Westminster: Soho, West End (on the Westminster side not in the Kensington and Chelsea borough) Covent Garden (again in Westminster not in the Camden borough), Strand and Westminster.
Southwark: Borough & Bankside
A lot of people stay in the borough Kensington and Chelsea and on my second trip to London I did too but it’s a bit out of the way from the center.

Posted by
17244 posts

I will ”second” Helen’s suggestion of a service apartment or “aparthotel”. There are a number of issues with owner rentals like Air BnB, VRBO, etc. in London (and other places). Instead you can use companies that offer serviced apartments in great locations all around London—-Marlin Apartments, Citadines, Native, Locke, StayCity, Stylotel, and more. These are dedicated buildings with hotel-like amenities—-reception desk, lobby, sometimes a workout room, etc. but the rooms are apartments (studio, 1- and 2-bedroom) with kitchens and living space.

One we like in particular is Locke at Broken Wharf, right on the Thames near St. Paul’s and the Millennium Bridge. Very modern, with a river views if you like, and easy connections by bus or Tube to all the sights of London. Many are within walking distance with the pedestrian path along the river.

https://www.lockeliving.com/en/london/locke-at-broken-wharf

They have a brand new sister property near Earl’s Court, a popular location with easy access to and from Heathrow by Tube. Locke Ember is offering a nice discount for stays of a week or more, but even for shorter stays one can get 10% off by joining the Locke “community”.

https://www.lockeliving.com/en/london/ember-locke

Posted by
16070 posts

Fraser Suites is another chain offering aparthotels. They are located all over London.

Posted by
33513 posts

caution is advised when using airbnb in London. There have been a lot of fakes, where pictures of real apartments have been "borrowed" from estate agents websites and then completely fake locations validated with the pictures, all as a scam to get money.

Be careful, very careful. There have also been lots of instances where public housing has been used although it is illegal to sublet. When these are discovered they are shut down with recourse to the tourist.

Just be really careful.

If you don't need a big apartment because of the size of your group - not you apparently - or for a long stay (hard to say because you don't say how long you need it) a hotel or aparthotel may be better for you, with less hassle.

Posted by
1297 posts

The other issue for Airbnb in London for the unknowing traveller is that even some of the best areas have pockets of deprivation and unlovely social housing. If you ended up in a flat on a bit of a dodgy estate it could be quite unnerving.

Posted by
33513 posts

Thank you Helen -- you say it better than me

Posted by
17244 posts

Nigel and Helen have authoritatively described some of the “issues” I was referring to. Thank you both.

Posted by
8810 posts

The other challenge is that you have actually left renting a flat quite late. Most of the great location/reasonable price ones are long gone. Other issue: It can be quite warm in July. If you rent an vrbo or similar be sure you know how well you do without air conditioning.