Please sign in to post.

Spring 2016 trip to the UK

I am thinking about taking a trip in April or May 2016 to the UK. My thought is to fly into Paris for 2 days, then take the Eurostar from Paris to London. London 3 days, then to Nottingham (I have a pen pal I want to visit) 2 days, Nottingham to Edinborough 1 day, Edinborough to Aberdeen 2 days (another pen pal in Aberdeen). This would all be with a BritRail pass. Then fly from Aberdeen to Belfast (family history in Northern Ireland) 2 days, Belfast - Dublin - 3 days, fly back from Dublin. Is this a doable itinerary? I will be by myself so can do what I want, I like to see places and things. I would be using B&Bs or similar places to stay. I know that April/May is probably not the best time frame to see the UK but I am going to Turkey in September so that rules out any time during the summer. I want to visit several places and then if I really like somewhere I can take a longer trip later.

Posted by
13906 posts

When I plan I like to count nights, so 2 nights gives you 1 full day for touring. When you say 2 days in Paris do you mean 2 days or 2 nights/one full tour day?

As much as I love Paris, I would not add it in this trip. I would add those nights to London (extra 1) which gives you 3 full days plus part of your first day when you may be less than top-notch if you have jet lag and put the other night toward Edinburgh (the other one).

If you do decide you really want to do Paris, I would cut Belfast and Dublin and distribute those days to Paris, London and Edinburgh.

I am not the expert on trains in UK, but you may do well to run the numbers and compare prices to what you might pay with advanced purchase tickets.

Posted by
6489 posts

I agree with Pam, this is a very rushed itinerary. You'll spend a lot of time in stations and on trains. I'd suggest saving Paris for another trip. Fly into London and home from Dublin. Give London and Edinburgh the time you'd have spent in Paris and on the Eurostar.

You'll find good information on this website ("Travel Tips") about UK and Ireland train schedules. You'll need to plan the connections carefully and maybe vary the order of places to make getting around easier. And see whether a railpass would really save money. Often individual tickets cost less if bought well in advance, though at the price of flexibility.

Posted by
32709 posts

If the only British trains you will use are London (St Pancras) to Nottingham, and Nottingham to Edinburgh, a Britrail pass seems like serious overkill. Look at Advance tickets bought near the threshold and save a boatload of money.

Posted by
5326 posts

There was also Edinburgh to Aberdeen. Even taking that into account though a pass seems to be an expensive way of doing things. Britrail passes come into their own with regular long trips at peak time - more the sort of thing a train enthusiast might do.

Posted by
11294 posts

I agree with Pam - lots of travel time with not enough time to see the places themselves. Pen pals and family history are a great way to focus a trip, so make those the priority, and cut other places. And don't forget jet lag; if you start in Paris, you'll just be getting over it when it will be time to move on. Starting in London with a few days to get acclimated sounds much nicer.