Thank you for all the positive replies! Your input on revised itin below would be most appreciated! Right now our trip is 26 days (13 in England 13 in France). August 18-Sept 14.
- we are double vaxed
- we have and will continue to track the ever changing COVID restrictions. We see UK into France requires 7 day quarantine. If this is still the case by our trip date of Aug 18 we would postpone our trip or not do two countries (England AND France). We would pick one or the other. Our hope is that this restriction will ease in the next two months.
- we understand Boris Johnson has said he expects UK restrictions to be lifted as of July 19. Our hope would be at that point USA would be a "green light" country. If this is not the case, again, we would cx/resched our trip.
- because we are using frequent flier miles and only booking refundable lodgings we have the flexibility to adjust last minute.
We have been to England a couple of times (have seen a lot of London and some of the Cotswolds (Chipping Camden, Stow-on-the Wold), also Stonehenge & Avebury, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwick Castle). Our goal this trip was to a) relax, slow down, savor b) see new sites c) longer stays in each location d) try to avoid crowds.
Liverpool 4 nights (Beatles, Beatles, Beatles yeah yeah yeah!)
- Private Beatles tour - any suggestions?
- John & Paul House - Nat Trust Tour
- Beatles Experience Museum (Albert Dock)
- Cavern Club
- Beatles Museum (next to Cavern Club)
- meal at Hard Day's Night Hotel "Any Time at All Menu" (thanks epltd!)
- other Liverpool sites, possible side trip to Chester or North Wales (thx Jennifer and James!)
Oxford 4 nights
- day trip: Blenheim Palace
- day trip: Highclere Castle
- rent a car for Cotswolds (parts we haven't seen - thanks geovagriffith!))
Bath 4 nights
- day trip: Mad Max cheddar gorge/Wells
- day trip: Mad Max? Salisbury Cathedral (thx Cala!), possibly Portsmouth for naval history
(thx for Brooks Guesthouse and Scallop Shell rest rec!)
- VISIT HIGHCLERE CASTLE! - either from Bath or Oxford. Thoughts which would be better?
Bristol 1 night
- fly to Strasbourg France (thx Badger & epltd) no "chunnel" for us!
Thinking the far east (Canterbury, Dover, Rye, Hever, Hastings, Canterbury) and southern coast will have to wait for another trip. Thx for Tunbridge Wells suggestion. Will remember for our next trip!
1 - Does above itin look "do-able"?
2 - Other thoughts/suggestions?
"In asking what to do after Dartmoor, you don't mention Cornwall. That might be my preference since you're that far to the southwest. If you did choose Cornwall you'd want a rental car." Thx epltd - makes sense. We'll shelf Dartmoor/Cornwall for another time.
Thanks again to everyone for your help! Planning a trip can be so overwhelming. One's head starts acting like an echo chamber!
Wishing everyone safety, health and good travels!