Please sign in to post.

Soccer matches

Appreciate all of the feedback on my prior questions about Norweigen Air Shuttle and dinner cruises on the Thames...this is a great forum!

We are also thinking of catching a Premier League soccer match next season in London. I know that the schedules wont be announced until after the current season ends and the promotions and relegations are decided, but in general how difficult is it to get tickets? I have a preference for Chelsea FC but really any London club will do. Thoughts???

Posted by
9100 posts

Unless you are a member of the club it's very hard to get tickets for Chelsea or Arsenal. Even the resell sites like Viagogo require memberships. Some lesser prestigious clubs sell tickets to the general public for certain matches.
Another option is ticket/hotel packages via Thomas Cook.
There is a bit of risk involved but I have successfully purchased tickets from scalpers outside the stadiums.

Posted by
120 posts

DO NOT attempt to buy tickets from anyone outside the grounds as as suggested by the previous poster it is illegal and the chances are you will be stopped at the turnstiles and turned away at best or possibly spend the afternoon or evening in the local police cells.

If you read any other website about buying tickets you will see that the only way is either join the suporters club and even then hope you can get tickets or go for a hospitality package which will cost mega money.

Posted by
223 posts

As others have said only go the legal route for tickets. Sign up for club membership, identify the game you want to see, and go for it. Remember that the less prestigious the game the better your chances: Chelsea v Man City is a lot harder to get tix for than Chelsea v Burnley.

If that fails, don't rule out lower league games. They're entertaining, cheaper and a lot easier to get tickets for. Look at teams like QPR, Fulham, Brentford and Millwall if PL tix are a no-go.

Posted by
9100 posts

Problem with signing up for memberships is that the top clubs have different tiers of membership. The entry level tier isn't good for much. You need to be some sort of season ticket holder to get into the top tiers.

Posted by
5264 posts

You can always watch the game in the pub.

Posted by
1069 posts

"There is a bit of risk involved but I have successfully purchased tickets from scalpers outside the stadiums."

They're called ticket touts in the UK, not legal.

Posted by
1645 posts

Are you really wanting to catch the kicky ball game? These sell out very fast, and as others have said the touts will be after your money and the tickets may get you into the match, they may also be worth less than one trip on the Toronto trams, last June.

Also CHELSEA? ARSENAL is London.

Try the cricket or the rugby.

Posted by
239 posts

I agree with MC, get along to The Stoop to watch Harlequins play rugby. Much easier to get a ticket at the gate, cheaper than football and a much more friendly atmosphere. You can take your beer to your seat, which you can't do at a round-ball match.

Posted by
223 posts

The irony of rugby union fans calling football a 'kicky ball game'. What is it the players are always doing in union?

Rugby league is also an option, if somewhat niche. Anyhow, I don't think any of us are going to change OP's mind.

Posted by
1645 posts

Rugby League is always an option. IIRC it got banned by Vichy France for being 'Communist'.

At least in Union they get to use their hands.

Posted by
223 posts

RL is communist? How bizarre, especially when Georgia and Russia are more into union than league.

You're correct, they can use their hands in union. They just choose not to. ;)

Posted by
183 posts

The conversation has deteriorated. To those of you with practical advice, thanks! To those of you who chose to start arguing about rugby, I could care less. Take your argument elsewhere.

Posted by
223 posts

Ah, lighten up OP, we're just having some fun inbetween making suggestions to you. Besides, if you've got the answers you want then there's no need to keep following this forum thread yourself.

Posted by
1645 posts

You get more out of these forums if you let them meander.

Yup, RL got banned because it was generally played in areas that voted Communist. I think that says more about French fascists than either rugby code.