Please sign in to post.

Soccer in England October/November 2024

Hello,
My friends and I are traveling to England this fall and would love to see a couple of Premier League matches. I signed up for International accounts for both Crystal Palace and Bournemouth clubs, hoping to watch Us players in action. I felt if I signed up for an account I would get moved up in line when tickets go on sale. Does anyone have additional tips for getting tickets to home matches for these clubs?

Posted by
1077 posts

The only guaranteed way to get tickets for specific games is to buy a hospitality package. That will cost a significant sum starting well over £100 and prices can easily reach £1,000+.

You might get lucky at Crystal Palace as one of the more unfashionable clubs but even there it will be a challenge. Bournemouth will be extremely difficult - their ground only holds about 10,000 and hospitality options will also be limited.

You will find it much easier to get into games in the Championship, the division below the Premier League. This season there are only 3 clubs in the Championship in or close to London - Millwall, QPR and Watford. You should be able to get tickets to home games there for most matches pretty easily. Many, including me, would argue that the atmosphere in the Championship is better than at most Premier League games.

The only US player I'm currently aware of playing in the Championship is Josh Sargent at Norwich City. A home game at Norwich would be possible as a day trip from London fairly easily.

Posted by
1333 posts

In the Championship there’s Brendan Aaronson who is a USNMT player, currently returned to Leeds United, although following Leeds’s acquisitions in the recent transfer window it remains to be seen if he’ll continue to be an automatic starter.

Posted by
1327 posts

Tenuous , former Wednesday player,John Harkes was the first US player to score in
a Cup Final, he went on to manage FC Cincinnati .

Posted by
1077 posts

Aaronson played in today's game. Leeds though, are maybe the one club that you might have difficulty getting a ticket for. Leeds would be a long way from London to see a home game and should they be playing in the south east tickets will requite hard to come by.

If you let us know what dates you are in the UK for we may be able to help further.

Posted by
240 posts

When in October and November?

There are two international breaks in that period.

7th to 15th Oct.

11th to 19th Nov.

There will be no EPL and Championship fixtures played between those dates and most of the fixtures in League 1 will be postponed too, depending on what clubs have international call ups. The 1st step where there is likely to be a full range a fixtures played is League2, during those periods.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are traveling October 29 through November 12, will miss international window. We are also looking into Championship matches, lots of US players in that level.

I have some conflicting information about getting tickets now. I see them for sale on Stub Hub. There are tickets for Brighton v Man City for example on November 9 for over $150 each and tickets for Palace also on the 9th but for less. Team web sites say they are not on sale yet and they release tickets three or four weeks ahead of matches. Are the Stub Hub tickets for real? Does anyone have advice or experience with this?

Posted by
1077 posts

Technically the resale of football tickets in the U.K. through third parties like StubHub is illegal. Having said that I’ve also seen people saying that they bought tickets that way and they were fine and also that StubHub will refund if anything goes wrong. Of course the latter case is not much use to you as you miss the game. I would also be concerned that tickets are not formally on sale.

There is another big problem for you in that the kick-off times for games in November have not yet been set for Premier League games - TV will select a number for live coverage and those games could actually happen any time from Friday evening through Saturday at 12.30 or 17.30, a range of times on Sunday afternoon or Monday evening.

Conversely TV has confirmed the live games for November in the Championship and also there are midweek fixtures between the first two weekends so there are lots of games to choose from - every club will play 3 times.

There are also European club matches on that midweek but the only game on in the south of England is Chelsea v Noah from Armenia. I imagine you could get tickets for that but I would take any Championship game ahead of that. Probably League 1 or League 2 as well.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you. I did see that there are midweek Championship matches so we may go that way. I'm also hopeful I can get an international reservation for Crystal Palace. I am reading that the Fulham match Nov 9th is a big deal to supporters so maybe a tough ticket to get.

Posted by
1077 posts

I don’t think that Crystal Palace v Fulham is a particularly significant game. Although close together Fulham’s traditional rivals are Chelsea and Palace’s are Brighton.

Posted by
240 posts

"I am reading that the Fulham match Nov 9th is a big deal to supporters so maybe a tough ticket to get."

Its a local derby, but it not 'the' derby for each club. There will be heighten interest over a 'normal' fixture, as opposed to rampant interest and the intense rivalry of 'the' derby.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks to you both. I have gone through the club's ticket office. With an international membership they allowed me to reserve four seats for the Fulham match so that's good news.

Posted by
1077 posts

Hopefully you will be able to enjoy watching Adam Wharton play for Palace. A truly exceptional talent - as long as he avoids serious injury he will be a world class player in a few years.