Please sign in to post.

Short Term Car Lease

Hello,
I would like to hire a car for one month in England. I need it to be as economical as possible. I've read about a few, but they were pretty expensive (1200). I've seen some cheaper ones (350), but you need to get your own insurance and I'm not sure how you would go about that. I've seen others that were inexpensive, but you have to have a UK drivers license. I'm hoping there is someone out there that has experience with this and can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Posted by
203 posts

I was able to find a good rate at Hertz for a one month rental, however it doesn't give me the option to add the full coverage insurance. It says I can add it at the rental counter, but I would like to know the daily rate before I book it. I can't find that anywhere. Any other thoughts?

Posted by
203 posts

Yes, but it only covers the car itself. It doesn't cover any damage to people or property, or other cars, which makes me nervous.

However, I just read this on the Hertz website:
Third Party Liability Insurance Included in our Rates
All of our rental rates include third party cover as standard. This insurance is required by law and protects you and any authorized drivers against claims from any other person in the event of death, personal injury or damage to property caused by the vehicle during your rental.

So, this covers other people, property AND cars in an accident? Included in the rate already? So, if my credit card coverage covers the vehicle itself, I'm good? Am I missing something?

Posted by
2505 posts

Third party insurance is a legal requirement and is always included - you can't drive without it.

Hertz will try and sell you their own insurance to cover their vehicle but if you believe your credit card covers this you can decline. However, if you decline to take their insurance Hertz will put a hold on your card until you safely return the vehicle.

Posted by
203 posts

Right, so that covers everything else, except the rental car. So, if my credit card coverage covers the car I'm good? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Anyone have the issue mentioned in the article above where they try to put a hold on your credit card for the entire value of the car?

Posted by
5697 posts

Don't think many of us have credit cards that could handle the entire price of the car -- but I have had holds of €300+ put on my card while using credit card insurance rather than buying coverage from the rental company. Hold has always disappeared at the end of the rental when I turn in an undamaged car.