Please sign in to post.

shopping

Does any one know of a shops that you love when in London,Not the ones in tour books
Laura

Posted by
13968 posts

I love the shops at the National Trust properties, Royal Palaces, big Cathedrals and Museums. They are probably listed in guide books though.

Are you looking to shop for anything in particular?

Posted by
4 posts

I like antiques , I make jewelry so looking small add ons,
I also do handwork (crazy quilts) use add on to that too.Hope someone has help .

Posted by
3428 posts

I think you'd like looking at some of the markets. Portobello Road is known for it's antiques- but go early. Camden Lock market and the small shops bordering it also has interesting things. We love Covent Garden market, too. Each day is different - one day is antiques, another crafts, etc. so check it several times. There are lots of other markets, too, I'm sure others will chime in with there recommendations. If you are doing any day trips, check for markets there, too. We stumbled upon a 'boot sale'- sort of a flea market with many dealers selling items from their car boots (what we call the trunk)- in Stratford-upon-Avon one time and have visited many church jumble sales, too. I found some lovely jewelry at one in Edinburgh, and would have bought some wonderful antique bud vases at another in .. Well I can't remember where.... but I didn't buy them because I didn't have room to pack them. I've bought antique china coffee/ tea cups and saucers for friends who collect, and the old fashioned charms for charm bracelets like we wore in the 60's and 70's. I don't think you'll have problems finding things, just problems deciding what to buy and how to get it all home, LOL!

Posted by
63 posts

Hi Laura, second vote for Liberty. It has a collection of very lovely items you will not find anywhere else in the world. They have a haberdashery! It is quite expensive but it's such a wonderful place to wander around and enjoy the beauty. Also: do not miss Fortum & Mason. It is on Piccadilly and sells tea, jam, biscuits, fine china, etc. It has been around since 1707 and is my favorite shop in all of London. The window displays at Selfridges area also fun to look at, especially at Christmas time. Happy shopping!

Posted by
2252 posts

Gabriel's Wharf on the South Bank has several unique and fun shops. There are also couple of small restaurants, a bike rental shop and a small crepes stop.

Posted by
7175 posts

I always have a look at Vivienne Westwood and Paul Smith flagship stores, partly because of their eccentric nature and intrinsic British sense, but also because they were part of my old stomping ground and are a touchstone for that time 25 years ago.

Posted by
138 posts

I like to go to Camden market early Sunday morning, also like shops in Marylebone area and window shop along Carnaby Street and Liberty

Posted by
138 posts

I like to go to Camden market early Sunday morning, also like shops in Marylebone area and window shop along Carnaby Street and Liberty and Fortnum and Mason

Posted by
8683 posts

Ditto Liberty and Camden Lock Market. The market is always my last day excursion. love getting my gifts there. Liberty will make you say, "Oh My." If you want an upscale mall try the one in Shepard's Bush. Last Fall I shopped at Pylones and Vinyl on Portobello Road, the FARA Charity shop on Elgin Crescent, the Owl Bookshop on Kentish Town road and Lords of Notting Hill on Holland Park Avenue. You could have a nice Pub lunch at The Castle in that area. great food, nice atmosphere. Have to go by bus or take the Tube to Notting Hill Gate and walk. The Holland Park tube should still be closed as they are installing a new elevator. Lastly, the gift shop at the British Library is excellent. Loads of Xmas gifts purchased there. A walk down Jermyn Street from Duke of York to St James has some fine and very expensive shops.
Could then stop at Fortum and Mason for tea. Lastly, I was blown away by Selfridges. Have fun, take the charge cards!!!!