Please sign in to post.

Seat diagrams on new Transpennine trains (350/4)

We've booked 1st class tickets from Dewsbury to Glasgow via Manchester on Transpennine Express for Oct. 18. I made seat reservations on-line for both segments. The first segment has us in Coach C, seats 10/11. I've been able to find a seat map for the type of train in use.

The segment from Manchester to Glasgow has us in Coach C, seats 11/12. I have not been able to find seat maps for the new 350/4 Electric Trains on that segment to see if we are seated together. On-line "live chat" has not been helpful, telling me the seats are not together, "probably because there are not enough seats".

Does anyone have access to a seat map. Otherwise I'll try calling Mon AM. I suspect the seats are together, and doubt the train is so full 3 months out that there are not two seats together.

Thanks.

Posted by
152 posts

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your reply. The ringer here is that seats C 10/11, Huddlesfield to Manchester, are on their older coaches. I have a seat map, and they are side by side, table seats. Seats C 11/12, Man. to Glasgow, are on the newer coaches, just introduced this year. I cannot find a seat map, so there is no way to know the numbering system in place.

I did try testing a new booking, Manchester to Glasgow on the same train. The computer assigned seats C14/15. So, there are still vacant seats, but who knows how they are arranged. The "live chat" guy last night told me that C11/12 were across the aisle from each other, but the reservation listing shows them to be an aisle and a window, table seat.

Thanks for the reassurance. Last time we traveled by train in the UK (2010), we had a couple bad experiences. Drunk football attendees siting across the table on a Sunday at 9 AM; no room for suitcases; etc. I'm not so mobile as in the past, so I'd like to avoid as much uncertainty as possible.

So, I'll try a phone call, unless someone can point me to a seat map.

Posted by
451 posts

Jerry, I'm not sure, but I think that in the first class coach there are 3 seats in each row. Two are together and on the other side of the aisle is a single seat. I think you have the single seat and the seat on the other side of the aisle (part of the two together).

Katy

Posted by
32704 posts

350s are 2+2 in First. That is true on 350/1, 350/2, and the new shiny not yet in use except for the Commonwealth Games 350/3s.

I'm not familiar with 350/4s. My gang run the 1s and 2s and have the 3s but won't run them until the timetable change in December. We hired out 3 3s to TPE for the Games. If 4s are run on the TPE as a matter of course I don't know.

We, at London Midland, don't allocate seats so I don't know how the numbers go.

First Class on a 350 is a very small area of just 24 seats in the middle of coach B. All seats in the First Class area are airline style except for 2 tables with 4 seats around each.

Posted by
152 posts

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. This is quite a struggle.

I spoke, live, with a TEP rep last night (his early AM). He told me this about our reserved seats:
:
Huddersfield to Manchester Piccadilly: Coach C, 10/11; this train is model 185; First Class seats are 2/1 config.; our seats are both aisle, across from each other; fascinating, because the coach diagrams I found for type 185 trains show the first class section in Coach A, not C, and seats 10/11 are adjacent; he speculated that there were no adjoining seats left; he made no offer to check further, or to change our seats

http://www.rail-britain.co.uk/opendocman/view_file.php?aku=c3VibWl0PXZpZXcmaWQ9MTImbWltZXR5cGU9

Manchester to Glasgow: Coach C, 11/12; this train is a 350,?type; our seats are next to each other; he could not direct me to a coach configuration diagram

In the end, no real clarity. And since Huddersfield to Manchester is only 30 minutes, our seat location doesn't much matter. But it is frustrating not to be able to have more control over specific seating. And I got a very good Advance price, a little better by splitting the ticket.

I made 2 other 1st class bookings on East Coast routes. It showed my specific seats on a diagram, and allowed me to drag and drop to other seats if I wanted, much like an airline (for those that still allow you to select your seats). I think I've spent enough time hand-wringing over this. Time to move on. Thanks again for your input.
Jerry