Please sign in to post.

Salisbury

Besides Salisbury Cathedral, I'm looking for suggestions on things to do and see in Salisbury. Was there many many years ago and I know things have changed. Will be there next month in May. Thanks for any suggestions

Posted by
13934 posts

Yes, ditto on the local museum. I’ve seen 2 interesting exhibitions there over the years, one of which had a wonderful display of Constable’s paintings of the area. Here’s the website to check on events.

https://salisburymuseum.org.uk/

I took an awesome walking tour put on by the local TI but that was pre-Covid so you’ll want to check to see if they are back on.

Be sure to see the rare medieval Doom painting in St Thomas’ church near the City Centre. It was restored a few years ago.

https://archaeology-travel.com/england/doom-painting-st-thomas-church-salisbury/

I’ve wanted to visit Mompesson House in the Cathedral Close but have always run out of time. There is also at least one more house in the Close that you can/could visit but don’t remember the details.

I also like a walk thru the water meadows. There is a route that has plaques noting viewpoints from Constable’s paintings.

This is one of my favorite cities!

If you like Thai food I had a nice pre-Covid meal at the Giggling Squid if it made it thru the pandemic.

Posted by
457 posts

If you like Thai food I had a nice pre-Covid meal at the Giggling Squid

LOL ... has to be one of the greatest restaurant names in England, right up there with the Laughing Halibut in London

Posted by
3753 posts

Stonehenge......or perhaps you've already done that on your previous trip to Salisbury. The bus to the stones leaves from near the TI office downtown. You can buy a ticket for the Stonehenge Bus plus Stonehenge at the TI office, or after you get on the bus. The bus will drop you off at Stonehenge, which has the stones, a museum, a cafe and gift shop. Your ticket includes your return to Salisbury. Just look for another Stonehenge Bus in the parking lot when you're finished.

On the return trip to town, the bus stops at Old Sarum, the old (abandoned) settlement on a hilltop. You'll want to get off the bus and see this. The bus will leave while you're walking up to Old Sarum, but never mind; another bus will come along after you're finished walking around there. Wait at the bus stop for the bus to pick you up and take you back to Salisbury.

Back in Salisbury.......
Don't know what hotel you'll be staying in, but walk down to Harnham Road to the Rose and Crown Hotel and have a meal or just a drink in their pub. The building dates back to before Henry VIII was born.

Posted by
5326 posts

Arundells, the former home of Prime Minister Ted Heath on the Cathedral Close is worth visiting for a number of reasons.

Firstly because of the beautiful garden at the back.

Secondly because of the 20th Century and other historical artifacts inside the building accumulated through his time as Prime Minister as well as afterwards.

Thirdly because it is treated as a home not a museum. You can sit in most of the chairs, play the piano etc.

You don't have to know anything about Ted Heath or care anything about him to get something out of it.

Posted by
1819 posts

" walk down to Harnham Road to the Rose and Crown Hotel and have a meal or just a drink in their pub. The building dates back to before Henry VIII was born." We stayed there a few years ago. The manager told us parts of the building were used as housing for the masons who built the cathedral. So the place was ancient when the creepy misogynist Henry 8 was reigning.

Posted by
470 posts

1 The Giggling Squid is one of a chain of about 50 restaurants

2 Pubs next to churches often claim that they were established to service their builders