Please sign in to post.

Safe to book trip to London for April 2023

With Russia cutting off gas to Europe, would it be more prudent to wait a few months before booking airfare and hotel for London rather than now?

Posted by
14036 posts

I’ve got airfare in to Amsterdam, home from Heathrow and a tour of Northern England booked for next April and May. I’m more concerned about the next rounds of Covid affecting travel.

My standard plan now is to book all refundable hotels and book directly with Delta for air as I know their cancellation policies. The tour operator is new to me but I feel is cautious and trustworthy.

As it gets closer, I’ll book train segments with refundable status if possible.

Posted by
8417 posts

The current travel landscape calls for flexibility. Whether you are reserving 9 months or 9 days before your trip, you need to be able to deal with last minute changes. If you have an airfare you like and have free cancellation reservations for hotel, I would go ahead.

I found a great RT airfare earlier this summer for April and I booked it right away.

Posted by
6113 posts

I thought this was going to be a Covid question when I saw your headline.

Across Europe, Russia supplies 35% of its gas, but that’s only 3% in the U.K.. In June, we didn’t import any fossil fuels from Russia, the first month in nearly two decades. However, global fuel rises have pushed energy costs up - prices are capped for homes, but not for businesses. Unless there is government intervention, many businesses will not survive, so hotel bookings may be at risk.