Please sign in to post.

Royal Tunbridge Wells: Worth a Day Trip from London?

Hi! My husband and I will be in London in December this year. We will be busy in town most of the time, but want to get out for a day trip or two. We've been to most of the usual suspects (Cambridge, Oxford, Bath, Canterbury, Hampton Court, Winchester, Hampstead, Greenwich, Windsor and Eton, etc.) but since we will only have a couple (or 3 at most) single days to take a side trip, I am casting about for some fresh options that are under a coouple of hours away by train.

I'd like to go to Brighton again (haven't been in EONS) but my husband says it will be too cold in December.

What about Royal Tunbridge Wells? Mr. Nielsen is a big fan off all things royal, so right off the bat he liked the name. :-) And pictures of the Pantiles look gorgeous.... but is there lots to do and see within walking distance of the station? Is it fun? Worth a visit? How would you rate it as a day trip?

And are there any other suggestions for places that are super close, but pretty and a little country, and fun?

Many thanks!

Posted by
2023 posts

We loved Chartwell--frozen in time Churchill residence. Kitchen has dishes, pots, etc. on display that were used by the family. His art studio is at the back and there is a nice garden area. Loved it enough to revisit some time.

Posted by
27092 posts

You might also consider Bletchley Park (the WWII code-breaking center). Trains to Bletchley are frequent and can take as little as 35 minutes. The grounds are nice, but you are mostly indoors, so it's reasonably suitable on a bad-weather day. There's a short walk from the train station to the site. Food is available.

Edited to add:

I visited Lewes from a base in Brighton, but it's just over an hour from London by train. Very picturesque. Ditto for Arundel, but it's closer to 90 minutes from London. Both involve trains departing from London Victoria.

Posted by
32732 posts

I notice that Bletchley and the codebreakers at Bletchley Park aren't on your list. Trivial by train, doesn't take long to get there but a full day's entertainment once you do. 51 minutes on the stopping train from London Euston, faster on the semifast (second stop on the semifast after Leighton Buzzard).

I didn't mention Royal Tunbridge Wells because in the three or four times I've been there I was underwhelmed. Maybe I didn't get to the good bit.

Posted by
6113 posts

I live about 8 miles from Tunbridge Wells and it’s ok for basic shopping and the Pantiles are historic, but there are more interesting places to visit from London. It doesn’t have much parkland or a great church, but there is a museum and art gallery, but that won’t fill your day! There are many pretty villages nearby, but you would need a car to get there.

Bletchley Park is a good suggestion and easy to reach from Euston Station. Chartwell House is only open at weekends in December and it’s a pain to reach by public transport.

Brighton, being on the coast is usually milder than inland in December.

Rye has enough interest to fill a day, from seeing the old town, the castle and old church to a walk round Rye Harbour nature reserve.

The Imperial War Museum Duxford near Cambridge is a great day out, but trickier by public transport, as you would have to take a train from London then a taxi.

Posted by
847 posts

I did a day trip a couple years ago to Royal Tunbridge Wells but I combined it with Tonbridge Castle, that was the primary reason I went. Not the 'best' castle in England but I'd been to most of the others easily reached from London so decided the two places might be worth a day. They were but certainly not better than the 'usual suspects' that you mention.

My daughter lived in Royal Leamington Spa for a year while at Warwick University and I though that was at least as nice as Royal Turnbridge Wells so if you are looking for places with Royal in the name you might consider that.

Posted by
13925 posts

I love Salisbury if you haven't been. Not only is there the Cathedral with the Magna Carta in the Chapter House but there is a very nice small museum with artifacts from Stonehenge (and an occasional special exhibition) and around the area as well as the Cathedral Close and some interesting buildings downtown.

They seem to splash out at Christmas so if this is your choice, do go to the Cathedral website ( www.salisburycathedral.org.uk ) as well as the Salisbury tourist info site. Last year they had some really interesting programs at the Cathedral during Advent - a special bringing in the light one that just looked breathtaking.

I can't figure out how to post this cool video on the ancient Doom Painting at St Thomas Church in Salisbury. It's just been refurb'd but if you'll go to Cathedral View B&B and look at their links you will see it. (And sorry for posting it this way but this is not an ad for Cathedral View altho I do enjoy staying there!) I did go to the "news" station that originally posted it but can't find it on there. As I understand it the St Thomas Church was built for the workers at the Cathedral because they weren't allowed to worship at there! The Doom painting is just amazing.

https://www.facebook.com/cathedralviewBB/

Posted by
1446 posts

We stayed overnight in Royal Tunbridge Wells because we were returning an auto to Gatwick with a flight out the next morning. It was conveniently close with no busy traffic. The town was pleasant but no bells and whistles.