Please sign in to post.

Route help please

Hello

The more I plan the more questions I have! Looking for suggestions on a driving route for September .

Liverpool to York. I want to stop at the following spots but I am unsure of the best route.

Liverpool

Edinburgh

Hadrians wall haltwhistle
Bamburgh castle

York

Thanks again,

Posted by
5367 posts

I would swap the route about and do Haltwhistle/Hadrian's wall on the way to Edinburgh-

M58/M6 up to Carlisle junction 43, then A69 to Haltwhistle- 142 miles;

B6318 (the road along the wall) or A69 to Hexham then A68 Haltwhistle to Edinburgh-106 miles;

A1 Edinburgh to Bamburgh Castle- 76 miles;

A1/A1M or A1 and A19 Bamburgh to York- 140 miles

Posted by
6428 posts

Here's a good routing tool, that lets you add intermediate stops to plot a driving route from anywhere to anywhere. Its time estimates don't include delays for traffic, construction, meal and rest stops, etc., so you should allow more time for any segment.

Your route from Bamburgh to York will take you right past Durham, so I'll add a plug for the amazing cathedral there.

Posted by
30 posts

Excellent suggestion on changing up the route. Now another question is one night enough in the Bamburgh area? Thanks kindly,

Posted by
5367 posts

I would argue strongly not, but it depends on the time you have available in the overall itinerary and your priorities.
If you haven't seen the local tourism website this is it-
https://www.bamburgh.org.uk/visiting-bamburgh/grace-darling/

To me, personally, my 'tick list' would include Bamburgh Castle, the Grace Darling Museum and grave (a total must in my opinion) , boat trip to the Farne Islands, Holy Island/Lindisfarne (as and if the tides permit- see other threads), Craster (taking in a bit of the long distance walking route- St Oswald's Way- which ultimately goes down to Hadrian's Wall- https://www.stoswaldsway.com/), the Chillingham Cattle and Etal, Rothbury and Coquetdale and the wonderful Cragside, also Alnwick and Alnmouth- including the wonderful Alnwick Gardens.
That's only starters but is mote than adequate.
I hope you'll have called into Berwick-on-Tweed on the way from Edinburgh,
Alnwick could be a stop on the drive down to York.
Clearly you have to be selective out of that, picking things which interest you.

Posted by
1797 posts

Another vote for spending more time in Northumberland!

isn31c has already produced a detailed list but I'd like to include the walk along the shore from Craster to the ruins of Dunstanburgh Castle . It is a very easy walk - allow 30 minutes each way. Also fol.low your nose for the traditional smokehouse in Craster.

It is also worth going into St Aidan's Church in Bamburgh. As well as Grace Darling's grave in the churchyard, this is where St Aidan died and was buried. The butchers in Bamburgh is also highly recommended and the place to go to stock up for a picnic lunch. The pork pies and sausage rolls are excellent and they also have a good selection of cakes too.

Posted by
30 posts

Thank you for the great suggestions. I have now made it a 2 night stop! I think I will shorten my Jurassic Coast stay to 2 nights.

Posted by
332 posts

The brutal truth is that Northumberland is way nicer than The Cotswolds, but that’s a secret, don’t tell Rick, or the place will be swamped.

Posted by
924 posts

Totally agree that Northumberland is way more interesting and beautiful than the Cotswolds. It has a much greater sense of place and local pride. The Cotswolds are, in large part, a sort of rich person’s playground.

Posted by
30 posts

With all this great information I may need to trim off a night from North Wales to make it a 3 nighter! I appreciate all the help!