Please sign in to post.

Restaurant and Shopping Recommendations

Hi,

I will be traveling to London in about two weeks with my boyfriend, and we would love some shopping and restaurant recommendations. We are staying in Westminster, and will be visiting sites in Richmond, Covent Garden, near the Tower Bridge, and Kensington. We are also open to exploring other areas of London as well. We enjoy indian food, and would love to find a good place for high tea. Also, are reservations commonly needed? In terms of shopping, we are looking for both clothing/nicer things and more touristy trinkets. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
750 posts

We stayed in Richmond a number of years ago, (long before Ted Lasso) and we really enjoyed spending time at Hare & Hounds on Upper Richmond Road. It's a fun, large neighborly pub, with a great outdoor backyard environment; often with live music. They have a website that you may want to check out. There's also the popular White Cross Pub along the river in Richmond and The Ivy Richmond Brasserie.

We had afternoon tea (advance reservations) at The Orangerie at Kensington Palace. Enjoyed that as well. All of this makes me want to go back sooner rather than later. Have fun!

Posted by
9079 posts

Been visiting and staying in London for 50 years.
Never bored there.

Are you going to Richmond because of Ted Lasso?

Are you aware “ high tea” is a full meal?

You want high end shopping? Then visit Harrod’s, Selfridges, Liberty, Bond Street, Fortum and Mason and walk along Mount Street in the Mayfair neighborhood.

Depends about reservations but you are visiting one of the most popular cities for tourists in the height of Summer travel.

Plenty of excellent Indian restaurants in London. Google and see if any are of interest to you and your boyfriend.

Gymkhana in Mayfair is outstanding. Love the Dishoom chain. Fabulous meal at the King’s Cross Dishoom. Trishna in Marylebone was memorable. Or just visit Gun Powder in Spitalfields market where you can shop as well.

Other London neighborhoods to visit. Bayswater, Islington, Shoreditch and Camden.

Posted by
2204 posts

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I think you mean afternoon tea (with dainty sandwiches, scones and cakes) rather than high tea which traditionally is served later and is a hot meal (often fish and chips or gammon) served with bread and butter.

You will probably have to book an afternoon tea as tehy are very popular with visitors to London.

If you are in Regent Street, do go into Liberty. It is a stunning black and white buil ding and the inside is fantastic and very different to any other department store with galleries running round a central atruim. Their fabric designs are wonderful too...

Posted by
434 posts

We enjoyed Petersham Nurseries Teahouse on the outskirts of Richmond--about a 30 minute walk from the underground station, a lot of it along the river. Oddly enough, they do not serve tea in the Teahouse, just breakfast, lunch and cakes. They do serve afternoon tea some days in another greenhouse-type building next door to the Teahouse. Reservations are required for afternoon tea, and for the nicer Italian restaurant also located on the property, but the Teahouse is walk-in only.

In London proper, we enjoyed afternoon tea at The Wolseley--reservations recommended. I second Liberty of London for shopping. It's just a 15 minute walk from The Wolseley.

Posted by
114 posts

Indian food, you say? Check out Brick Lane and environs… the East End of London is heaving with excellent Indian (and Pakistani, and Bangladeshi, etc.) restaurants serving amazing, authentic food. There are lots of online guides to help you decide… or just put “Whitechapel Station” or “Liverpool Street Station” into your map app, then look around the area for restaurants that strike your fancy.

There is also a small chain of family-owned Indian restaurants called The India, The India 2, and The India 3 which are incredibly highly rated - we have friends who have been trying to get us to one for ages, but something has always come up (work emergency, etc., etc.) I’d suggest, based on personal recommendations, to check one of them out.

Also agree with Claudia about Dishoom. Good stuff!!!

Shopping: Spitalfields Market has tons of cute and unique local boutiques/stalls plus some cute chains, and there are loads of food choices there, including amazing wood fired pizza, Indian, Thai, Lebanese, oysters, etc., erc.

Brick Lane for excellent vintage shopping in addition to the food.

Want a massive mall? Try Westfield in Shepherd’s Bush: and yes, it is an “authentic London experience.” :-) It’s a new, immense, and lovely space with a mind-boggling array of shops.

Covent Garden is touristy but absolutely fabulous. There are multiple stalls with unique handmade items, vintage goods, and souvenirs, plus plentiful food options and fantastic street performers. and For fun souvenir shopping with a London transport theme, check out the London Transport Museum, which is right next door.

Also at Covent Garden is the Royal Opera House, with its super gift shop. If you are looking for beautiful, well-designed souvenirs like books on art and dance, pretty tea towels, mugs, jewellery, etc., this is a great place. You are also assured that not a lot of folks back home will have any of these items. ;-)

You’ll know about Oxford Street and Regent Street, or course. Also, for really nose-bleed prices (and amazing window shopping) Bond Street and New Bond Street. Loewe, Rolex, Dolce and Gabbana, etc., erc.

Carnaby Street is adorable and lined with chic and trendy boutiques, high-end clothing and shoe shops, etc. Lots of food options there - check out Kingly Court for 3 stories of YUM.

Liberty? I am joining the majority to say, “don’t miss it!” It’s a venerable old department store near Oxford Circus - faux Tudor on the outside with an astonishing interior made of wood from an old ship. It’s so quintessentially “shopping in London” that it might blow your mind. Liberty is also a very quick walk from my favorite chippie in the world - the Golden Union, at 38 Poland Street. Try the haddock.

If you opt to go to Harrod’s, go early! It gets RAMMED. The Food Halls are worthy of their world famous reputation. This is a perfect place to pick up some delicious knosh for a picnic.

And just a block or so away is Harvey Nichols. Feast your eyes on super swank, high-end designer gear, then repair to the Fifth Floor Bar for a sit-down on a velvet banquette with a glass of champagne. Spendy, but marvellous!

Edit to add: How could I forget Sloane Square and a wander down the King’s Road!?! Now here is some amazing shopping. So many choices! OMG! If you visit, may I suggest doing that on a Saturday, so you can visit the Duke of York Square Fine Foods Market. It’s wonderful. You can pick up a gallette or some pierogis or prawn rolls or Dutch pancakes or halloumi fries or biltong or bao buns or Maldon oysters and sit on the grass in the sun and feast. The setting is lovely, the food is delicious, and the shopping in the area is top-notch.
https://www.russellsimpson.co.uk/articles/duke-of-york-square

Have a BLAST!

Posted by
1280 posts

Volva really knows her stuff here!

I’m not a huge shopper and generally only want to hit up a few brands I like that don’t have stores in my home town: Uniqlo, Arket and Cos. Regent Street and Covent Garden does it for me. The Uniqlo in Covent Garden is fab. It’s a lovely old building which has had its character retained and includes a Japanese cafe. Go early on a weekday and there will be barely anybody there. I find that even though Regent Street itself gets stupidly busy the shops are never that bad once you’re inside.