Please sign in to post.

Rental car question?

Ok.....I am picking up a rental car at Edinburgh Airport on May 9th and plan on keeping it for about a week and driving around Scotland. My last place of interest before I go to London is York. My itinerary has me arriving in London in the evening of the 16th to stay for a week. I do not plan on having the rental car in London. My question is this:
Should I simply turn my rental car in at York and then take a train to my apartment in London (I would need to get off at the Royal Oak Station) or should I drive the rental car from York to Heathrow airport and then take a train to the Royal Oak station? It's a little cheaper to drop it off at York on the 16th but not a big deal. Also...should I keep the rental car during my time at York or should I return it on the 14th and save a couple days rental fees? Is there a reason to have a rental car at York to sightsee?
Thanks

Posted by
752 posts

It would be more relaxing and time saving to drop the rental car in York, and take the train into London Kings Cross station. York is fairly compact if you stay in the center, so unless you are planning to day-trip from York, you won’t need a car.

I’ve returned cars at Heathrow several times. The traffic is congested and then you have to take the shuttle bus back to the terminal to catch the tube or Heathrow Express.

Once you arrive at Kings Cross, if you’re coming back with a few suitcases, a taxi might be easier than navigating the tube to the Royal Oak Station neighborhood.

Posted by
32821 posts

Royal Oak is not a train station, and the train from York to Kings Cross does not go there. Neither does any train from Heathrow.

To reach Royal Oak by public transport you will enter the Underground at Kings Cross and join either the Hammersmith and City train or Circle Line train heading west/ anti-clockwise / destination Hammersmith (take which ever arrives first but do not board a Metropolitan Line train which will turn off before your stop) and get off at the 6th stop - Royal Oak.

If you want to make the journey from Heathrow, board a Piccadilly Line train leaving the airport (you will probably be bussed to the hub at T2&3) and go 11 stops to Hammersmith. Change onto any Circle or Hammersmith and City and get off at the 8th stop, Royal Oak.

Or take Heathrow Express one stop to Paddington and walk or take the tube 1 stop.

Posted by
6113 posts

Drop the car on arrival in York, as you won’t need it there, most likely. The drive to London is tedious and prone to regular traffic delays, so let the train take the strain.