Please sign in to post.

rental car age restrictions

We are planning a trip to England and Scotland next year and I understand that there may be age restrictions on renting a car. Ages of travelers are 74, 73, 70, and 69.

Posted by
7396 posts

In Italy, yes, but in the UK I don’t believe so. You might want to inquire with a rental car company or two, in case some have age restriction policies. Even if you are rented a car with no questions asked, you’re probably already thinking about driving on the left side of the road, while the driver’s sitting on the right side of the vehicle. Not too hard after getting acquainted with the layout of the dashboard and remembering that the fast lane is on the right on motorways. Some parts of Scotland can have very narrow roads, and sheep will take the right of way, even if that gets in your way.

At least the speed limit signs and the speedometer will be in miles per hour, not kilometers.

Posted by
57 posts

I asked about the same issue a while back (I'm 73). The consensus is that there is no rule limiting you ( I checked with Eurocar), but I plan to check with the local branch of the rental company to make sure there is no last minute surprise. I also plan to give in to age and rent an automatic and want to make sure one will be available.
Dennis

Posted by
2369 posts

Autoeurope website has a list of age restrictions by country and shows no upper age restrictions for the UK but i would do as previous said and call the agency to be certain they don't have their own rules and regulations or added fees based on age.

Posted by
1056 posts

A small thing to add for consideration. Be certain to get a car with an automatic transmission. Since you’ll be driving on the opposite side of the road that you are used to driving on, if you get a stick shift, the gearshift and controls will also be on the opposite side that you are used to. That could make for some interesting times..

Posted by
491 posts

Actually I disagree - driving a stick shift on the wrong side of the road is easier than driving an automatic - having to use the 'wrong' hand to change gear reinforces where on the road you are. We have more issues with indicators on the wrong side getting the windscreen wipers instead LOL.

I haven't driven a manual car for years - but will definitely rent a manual in Europe if we end up getting a car there

Posted by
11184 posts

Older British friend living in US had problems renting when he visited England. It seems to vary by auto rental company.

Posted by
3603 posts

Easy way to do this. Go to AutoEurope or Kemwel site. Right at the start, they ask age of driver. Put in that of the oldest. They will then show only companies that will rent to a person that age. I think the magic number may actually be 75. You can compare with prices for renting directly with the companies, but I have almost always found them higher. Another advantage of using AE or Kemwel is you have an American office to deal with if problems arise.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Bob- The last time I rented in Europe was before Covid. In 2018, age restrictions varied by rental company, country of rental, and countries visited . I'll just say that my age was above the "Magic number" mentioned by Rosalyn. I only visited Germany. France, Switzerland, and Austria.

Since I passed 60 some years ago, I now take several extra precautions when I drive.
1. No beer before the car is parked for the night,
2, Get to the hotel and park the car before twilight. No driving at night.
3. Minimize driving in cities. Public transportation is usually very good in large cities.
4. Be sure you know where you are driving to and have the route planned in detail.
5. Don't rely exclusively on GPS- I use the latest version of good readable maps when driving to places I have not visited before. Google maps are pretty good for most cities.
6.Don't speed (Many hidden cameras) and learn the traffic (and Parking restrictions) signs.
Some extra items-Check with the insurance you plan to use to cover theft and collisions. VISA used to be very strict in countries that drive on the "wrong side" of the road. The UK falls in this category. Fill up your gas tank and save the receipt just before you return the car. Be sure the car rental company has a local office to return the car that will be OPEN when you need it (VOE). If more than 1 of you will be driving be sure to get it listed on the rental agreement. There may be a surcharge. Be sure the car is big enough and has enough storage space. EDIT- Enjoy the round-abouts...

Have a great vacation!!!

Posted by
9629 posts

Someone up thread mentioned needing an automatic because of the “backwardness” of the gear shift/clutch etc.

I have to say when I drove in Scotland I didn’t have any problem with this. Even though things are on the opposite side of the vehicle, I didn’t have to think at all about shifting and using the clutch, it all came very naturally.

Positionally DRIVING/BEING on the other side of the road now — I never did get used to that !!

Posted by
41 posts

I agree with Lissie and Kim … I didn’t have any trouble shifting with the left hand. I never really felt like I had to think about it. I did drive a manual transmission car back home for 10+ years, so I’m sure that helped.

Now, driving on the other side of the road … that was hard. It was definitely doable, but it took much more brain power than compared to driving at home and longer drives could be really exhausting. The only time I really felt “scared” was on the highways; I much preferred the small country lanes (even if I had to back up to allow another car to pass).

Posted by
5678 posts

I've always thought that getting a standard drive did help me stay focused on the left hand drive. BUT I've driven stick a lot. None of my cars were automatic other than my first company car. So, I think if you are not proficient in shifting you should stick with automatic.

In terms of age issue we did run into issues on Orkney. My dad was 79 was not allowed to rent and the drive the car. It quite shocked us both as he is a good driver. So it really pays to ask in advance.

Pam

Posted by
317 posts

Count me among those agreeing with Lissie. If you can drive a manual at home, you can drive a manual in the UK. It forces your brain to engage so you know where you need to be. Automatics, while admittedly handy in some situations, allow you to be "sloppy". Shifting with the left had becomes just as natural as shifting with the right. I've had more issues trying to "shift" an automatic than I ever have had driving a right-hand drive manual.

Posted by
7396 posts

Our last rental was in Ireland/Northern Ireland - manual transmission, same left side of road/driver on the right side of car issues. Maybe grinded the gearbox a couple times trying to shift into the correct gear using the left hand over 2 weeks, but no real problem - hey, it’s a rental, right?

In Italy right now, and although we reserved a rental Toyota (or equivalent), we were “upgraded” to a Ford Puma, with automatic tranny. The automatic has been a bit of a challenge, being used to a manual BMW at home. Oh, well, it works. The manual shift isn’t much of an issue in the U.K. - getting around a roundabout in the correct direction, exiting from the correct angle - THAT’S the biggest challenge, besides not steering too far to the left side of the lane.