Please sign in to post.

Rail Questions

Hi. Help please....I'm looking to purchase a Two Together Railcard for myself and hubby. Do I need just 1 railcard for both of us?

When I go on Lner site to purchase our tickets from London to York, do I purchase 2 tickets at that time? Looking at prices, it seems cheaper to buy tickets using a senior railcard instead of the two together?

We'll be traveling on May 20th. Several days in York and then taking train to Glasgow - then train to Edinburgh.

Also - am I better off waiting to purchase our train tickets closer to date or in advance now?

Thanks for the help!!!

Posted by
1233 posts

Yes the Two together covers two people .
You must travel together for the tickets to be valid

Posted by
82 posts

@Richard - Thanks. Can you help answer my other questions please?

Posted by
1233 posts

I am a near habitual last minute booker.
That said, in your case you have firmer plans than me ,I would book now .
As is often written on here ,in the drop down menu just indicate you already have the pass when buying your tickets.
You are doing the right thing by using a train company rather than an agent.

Posted by
5859 posts
  1. Unless you are leaving before 0930 (when 2T validity starts) then the 2T and the senior railcard fares are identical. Senior railcards are available at all times.

2. Yes, on 2T you need to purchase 2 tickets choosing the 2T railcard option, or you will not be offered 2T discount.

3. Fares on LNER are currently open on those dates, so purchase now.

4. LNER only run one train a day to Glasgow from York, in the late afternoon. At other times you buy a through ticket to Glasgow but you change at Edinburgh to a Scotrail train

5. From Glasgow to Edinburgh you will travel on Scotrail (unless you take the one LNER train or the one Cross Country train, both at about 7am). You can buy those tickets now (from LNER) or on the day at the station. There is no price advantage to buying that journey ahead of time.

You can buy your tickets now stating that you have a railcard but buy the railcard later if you wish, as long as you have it when you travel.

Note that on the weekend of May 25 and May 26 it is not yet confirmed if rail engineering work will disrupt your journey between Glasgow and Edinburgh. That leg may be diverted to a slower route.