Please sign in to post.

Questions on what to do Cornwall/Penzance on our 2022 visit

I plan to travel by train from London to Penzance in early September 2022. I plan to stay 4 days. My questions are:
1. Is it easy to get around to various sights by bus or do you hire a driver or tour operator?
2. What are the must see sights in 4 days? I want to explore the tin mining area/museum. I also would like to take some level walks along the beautiful Cornwall coastline. My wife and I will be 75 in 2022.
3. Great restaurants to eat in Penzance??
4. Hotel to stay in Penzance with breakfast.

I prefer to stay in Penzance because of the rail linkage from Paddington station as we will be returning to London after our 4 days.

Your thoughts on the above are greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Steve

Posted by
27111 posts

You don't necessarily need to go to Penzance just because the train terminates there. These other towns are along the route and are served by at least some of the Penzance trains:

Par
St Austell
Truro
Redruth
Camborne
St Erth

I know nothing about Penzance or the tin-mining industry in Cornwall, but based on a very quick perusal of Google results, I think Truro is closer to the tin-mining district than Penzance is. I overnighted in Truro in 2017 and found it an attractive town of some size not given over totally to tourism. I believe every single train going to Penzance will stop at Truro. I don't believe Truro is the spot for coastal walks, however.

Posted by
161 posts

It's not in the tin mining area, but we have taken the train to Falmouth twice and stayed for several days each time. We had family in the area. Both times we took the Riviera Express which was a night train from Paddington to Falmouth. Loved it! And saved some travel time because we were asleep for the trip down.

Falmouth is a lovely town with wonderful level coast walking in the area. We also took the train to Penzance for a day on one of our trips. So, it has the train and the walks. I liked Penzance but it was a bit more touristy than Falmouth, but we enjoyed it for a day trip.

Beautiful part of the country no matter where you stay.