Please sign in to post.

Peak District National Park

Hi all,

I have a little different question from the other threads I found Peak District National Park. My 22-year old and friend (who lives in London but goes to college with her in CA) are headed to London in August. They would like to spend a couple days outdoors and this national park was suggested.

Where would you suggest they stay? They won’t tour Chatsworth or visit any of the area’s stately homes. They really want a Alpe di Suisi or Bernard Oberland experience 😊

Any suggestions for a village and a B&B?

Thank you!

Posted by
1834 posts

They probably want to be in the White Peak (limestone) rather than the Dark Peak (Gritstone).
Think Castleton, Tidswell, Miller's Dale , possibly even Bakewell.

Posted by
16261 posts

I don’t know if this would be of interest, but we really like this company (actually a cooperative) for their guided walking programs around the UK. They also offer “self-guided hiking at many of their country houses, including this one in the Peak District. It is located at Thorpe, a bit south of Bakewell. They would get a comfortable twin bed room, full board ( the food is great at the ones we have been to), and access to the maps and trail descriptions, plus advice from the volunteer hike leaders.

Look under “itinerary” to see a sample of nearby hikes—-the leg-stretchers and “full-on” hikes are probably what they are looking for.

https://www.hfholidays.co.uk/holidays-and-tours/self-guided-walking-dovedale-3

They will likely be the youngest people there, but everyone is very welcoming and fun if you want to socialize;

Posted by
13 posts

Accomodation may be challenging at this point, but perhaps Edale or Hathersage? Edale is a very small vialllage, but Hathersage has a bit more going on. Edale gives you easy access to Kinder Scout and Castleton, with the Ridge between. If they don't have cars, then easy to get to by train from Manchester or Sheffield.

Posted by
6113 posts

If they want the Dark Peak, a great base would be around Holmfirth/ Marsden / Slaithwaite / Greenfield area - Last of the Summer Wine Country if you have ever seen the programme.

Posted by
1834 posts

You are right, the Limestone Way is the White Peak. I think the scenery will be more what they are after if they are wanting an 'Alpe di Suisi or Bernard Oberland experience' ALTHOUGH it isn't on the same scale!

Unlike the Pennine Way, the Limestone Way Trail isn't that well known or publicised. It does go through some cracking scenery and would be ba good place to start for research.

Posted by
1210 posts

I might give you there are no mountains ,but there certainly are hills.
A wander up Win Hill via Parkin clough definitely has most blowing

Posted by
954 posts

Hi all,

Just a quick thank you for your help here. The kids ended up in Castleton and hiked Cave Dale. They stayed at the Farmyard Inn. I have yet to hear how it was but I will find out. On Day 2, they hiked Padley Gorge.

All was very green, wooded, lots of running water and not very crowded.

Thanks again!

Posted by
954 posts

Just following up with more detail. Youlgreave was dead, empty, and felt desolate to the kids. The inn was lovely, very nice people but all in all it was too quiet for them. They loved Castelton!