Please sign in to post.

Packing advice

So now that we are about a week out from leaving for our trip, I’m checking the BBC weather website and I am quickly determining that what I have packed (yes, my excitement expedited this!) needs to potentially be changed due to the expected warm temperatures. It looks like we are going to have highs in the low 80s (25, 26, 27 C) most of the week. I had followed RS packing list, along with spending wayyy too much time researching women’s summer wardrobe ideas, but I am wondering if I should adjust. It seems it’s proving to be warmer than what is the norm there.

Is humidity a factor in London with those 80 temps? For me, I can tolerate the temperature so much more if it is drier. We have 9 days - in London and a few side trips- and I wasn’t planning on taking more than one pair of shorts. Given the weather projections, should I add another pair or two or will it cool down enough in the evenings for capris to suffice? Will a lightweight long sleeve linen shirt be too warm? Should I switch out any of the three lightweight long/ three quarter sleeves and stick with all short sleeves/sleeveless?

I just thought I’d ask and see if anyone has suggestions or advice. I’m probably way overthinking this, but I’m hoping to be as comfortable as possible. Many thanks for any responses!

Posted by
2694 posts

I personally think capris are cool enough for 80s temperatures but I live in Florida and only wear shorts hiking.

I would switch out long sleeve/3/4 length shirts as I don’t wear those unless temperature is in 60s. I would take a light weight sweater in case it is cooler in evening or weather changes. But you know what you like to wear when the weather is in 80s.

I would still take a rain jacket!

Posted by
5429 posts

If this helps, this week the humidity is around 30-50%. Early next week is predicted higher @ 60-70% with increased chance of afternoon thunderstorms but likely to be a bit cooler at least at the start.

Posted by
283 posts

I'm a guy, so will avoid any clothing advice. What I will say is the Rick's packing advice tends to be minimalistic, and if you are not constrained by luggage allowance and are staying in one place in London, I still think it makes sense to err on the side of more rather than less. I often kick myself for not wearing several things I bring, but I also pat myself on the back for that last minute "I should bring this item" that I end up wearing a lot.
Second point is that it is FUN to shop in places like London, so if you need something, it's gonna be available in a big city, and it might be a fun couple hours shopping for it. It then also is a wearable souvenir. :D
If you pack light, and end up shopping, it's a win! If you pack heavy, but find you actually "needed" some of that extra, it is also a win!
The obvious caveat is if you are moving around a lot and having to lug that bulky suitcase, less is better.

Posted by
2610 posts

Where you you live in the USA? That reference point might help with answers. My Pacific Northwest comfort level is very different than someone who lives in Florida. Do you run hot or cold as a matter of course? That would be a factor in deciding. I personally wouldn't up the shorts, but I don't like wearing them normally and would prefer capris.

Speaking from my experience last year when visiting London during 95 degree temps in June, we were way too hot even in shirt sleeves and pants, but hadn't expected those temps ahead of our trip. There is minimal air conditioning in many places. I didn't think it was that humid, but I live in the NW where water vapor is kind of a daily thing. I'd suggest you need light layers that will cover you for any occasion, including sun protection and evening activities where it might be cooler.

Posted by
26 posts

I would definitely take out any long sleeve tops. I found London to be very humid. Definitely take a raincoat. We were in London the first week in May and it was comfortable but warmer than anticipated. You should pack a lightweight cotton sweater in case it is cooler in the evenings. Also it gets very warm on the Tube. I sweated off every bit of makeup I had on so I didn’t wear much after that. As far as shorts - maybe take a nice, dressier short in linen or you could take a few skirts. Capris would be great to take as well. I think a couple of lightweight three quarter sleeve tops would be fine also. Pack some sunscreen and bring sunglasses and a hat. I ended up buying a baseball hat at lululemon while there. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
435 posts

We are in Virginia and normally have the humidity to contend with- although this spring/summer has been incredibly wonderful from the lack if it. I’m in my early sixties and I do tend to run hot, which is why I’m concerned with what I had packed. My daughter spent 6 weeks in England in 2017 right about this time and she’s been my consult regarding what she thought would be good choices. She is very surprised at the temperature ranges of late there, too. She said she wore her barbour raincoat every day, with a sweater beneath at times. We are both rethinking our suitcases for sure! We’re planning on trying to get by with just a carryon if we can.

I think I’ll ditch the long sleeves, for sure. Still figuring out the shorts/capris #s.

Posted by
1292 posts

When it’s hot in London it really feels HOT because of all the buildings, people and traffic. UK has a maritime climate so it’s always humid.

Posted by
435 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions so far! I’m beginning to feel better about changing out selections for clothes to make a difference in comfort… the choice of a flat w/o ac - well, I guess we’ll just have to grin and bear it on that one! 😩

Posted by
1087 posts

I don’t think that temperatures in the mid 20s are at all exceptional for London in late June. It was over 30 degrees this time last year for instance. The size of the urban area creates local temperatures higher than the surrounding area.
I try to play to the old adage that you should get out the bare minimum you think you can manage and then halve it and you should be about right. That’s particularly important if you are going to have more than one base.
Bear in mind that we do have shops here - if you find yourself short of something just buy it.

Posted by
435 posts

“if you find yourself short of something just buy it” 😊

Johnew52, can this advice be used when explaining to my stay at home husband a lot of my future purchases while there? “But, honey, I was really short on this, and that, and that- it was a necessity !” 😉

Posted by
3306 posts

I would leave in one long sleeve or 3/4 sleeve top. Weather reports are often wrong. I also would ditch all shorts and switch to longer pants (I don't wear Capris, but they would be better than shorts). Shorts in the city, yuck; cities are dirty...as much as I love cities. Light slacks are just more versatile, IMO. They dress up and dress down, and keep one cooler (sun block). Or, if you like your legs out in the sun, wear skirts. I am also all for your linen shirt!

I'd also like to point out that the low varies between 13 and 15 (55-59F) which means some cool evenings even if the forecast is correct. Layers for this possibility.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
8084 posts

Not sure where you live, but I live in South Georgia and low 80s is perfect weather for me.

I have found that if I try to wear shorts when I travel that many places (when on an airplane or restaurants) keep the AC so cold that I get chilled, even in the Summer. I have one friend that weighs 60 lbs more than me and he keeps his house at 65 degrees.

Pick something that you know you will be comfortable with wearing.

You can probably pack a suitcase so you won't need to do laundry on your trip.

Posted by
1292 posts

Lots of women wearing shorts in London these days. It’s very common and city shorts are in fashion. I like wearing a shirt with mine (there are lots of short sleeved loose linen ones around this year) to make the look more city than beach but when it’s really hot I don’t particularly care as long as I’m comfortable.

We don’t have freezing cold AC here like you get in America. It’s too expensive to run. Places do have AC but it’s kept at a much more moderate temperature.

Posted by
435 posts

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and current trends! I think I’m set. I’ve got

One long sleeve EB white shirt that has the potential to roll up to 3/4 sleeves
One long sleeve linen shirt
Four short sleeve/cap sleeve shirts
One tshirt type knit dress that can be dressed up/down
One sleeveless romper kind of dress - pretty casual
One long pair of lightweight travel pants
Two pair of capris jeans- they are thin denim- one darker rinse, one lighter
One pair white capris jeans
2 summer scarves
A white jeans jacket
A lightweight Columbia rain hacket
Sneakers
Black flats
Teva sandals

I’m hedging on taking two of the capris jeans, but they are so comfortable. It’s hard to dress up any of the pants, but I’m hoping if I take the two dresses I’ll be ok. I’m not a dress up kind of traveler by any means!

I think this will work! My husband is just laughing at the degree of thought I am putting into this lol!

Thanks to all of you for helping me!

Posted by
1292 posts

Sounds good to me. You can wear the dresses if it’s really warm as they sound cool. I would take shorts but not everyone likes wearing them. I would not bring white clothes on a trip if packing light as I am very likely to get them dirty on the first wear but you may be neater than me.

Posted by
435 posts

Helen, I agree about the white capris and may switch them out- trying to avoid buying any more new items, but my luck I’d spill chocolate on them right off the bat!

Posted by
4181 posts

I counted 3 white garments on your latest clothes list. I wouldn't take any of them.

White looks great, until it encounters anything with any dirt at all and you will encounter that sitting on a bench with a back or a bus or tube seat or leaning against a wall or brushing up against any plants, wet or dry. All of those and more are possible on your trip.

The other enemy of white is any food or drink with any color in it. If it drops or spills, it will automatically hit the shelf. I used to take a couple of patterned tops that I called "spaghetti sauce" tops. They also worked for brown gravy, Tikka Masala, fresh tomatoes, pizza, sticky toffee pudding, coffee, tea ... and chocolate.

I don’t own any similar patterned tops anymore. But I do always take one patterned scarf that I build my trip wardrobe around. All my scarves are cheap, lightweight and roughly 36"x72." Tied different ways, they work anywhere in any season. This is one I haven't used yet. This is one I planned to use for Ireland, but then Covid happened and the RS tour was canceled along with everything else. I include both as examples of a more colorful inspiration scarf and a more neutral one, respectively.

I don’t always wear a scarf, but coordinating around one guarantees that everthing will work together. My husband once expressed concern about me getting something on the scarf when I did wear it. I pointed out that it could substitute for a bib and that if I did get anything on it, I could wash it much easier than a top and that it would dry faster, too.

Have a great time in London and remember that you can wear tops and bottoms more than once. On such a short trip, keeping that in mind for packing can really help you to pack light.