Please sign in to post.

Oyster card question

We are traveling to London in exactly one month. If I order us Oysters cards tomorrow, how long will it take to get them in the mail here in the states?

Posted by
5811 posts

For me mailing to Seattle it usually takes about 9 days for mail to get there, and is usually a day or so faster coming the other way- that is calendar day not working days.

Leaving aside the awfully vexed question of oyster vs contactless payment there is zero need to have an Oyster mailed to you- wherever in London you land they can be easily purchased on arrival.

So no need to pay the mailing costs.

Posted by
5 posts

Ahhh, thank you. Then I guess we should just purchase our oyster cards upon arrival at Heathrow. ( and not Visitor cards in mail)

Posted by
15050 posts

Yes. It's very simple and shouldn't take more than a few minutes. There are people around to help if you need it.

Posted by
8680 posts

Easy to do at Heathrow. No need to purchase the Visitor’s Oyster Card in advance.

Posted by
775 posts

Contactless credit card is so much easier. If you are concerned about losing the CC, ApplePay still beats Oyster in my experience.

YMMV - to each, his own

Posted by
5 posts

Ok so one more question. If we use our contactless charge cards, do we swipe getting ON the bus or train AND ALSO getting OFF?

Posted by
2743 posts

For bus you only swipe on as fare is fixed. For Tube, etc., you must swipe on and off as zones are involved. In fact, you need to swipe to ope; the gate to leave (except, e.g., DLR, where yo7 have to find exit kiosks as there may be no gate.

Posted by
5811 posts

Bus- on only as it is a flat fare bus system (£1.75 no matter how long the journey). On the train on and off at the turnstiles/gates. Also on and off the Thames Clippers waterbus system if you use those- on the waterbus only when directed by the boat crew.

Posted by
2353 posts

Besides the above good advice, for contactless cards each person needs their own card to swipe in/out. You can't share. If you only have one between you, purchase an Oyster card at the airport for the second person. I used contactless Visa on a trip last year and it worked great.

Posted by
10 posts

When I was in NYC last month, I shared a CC to get on the subway with my niece. I would touch the contactless circle with my CC, wait for the green go, then hand the card to her to use. Good to know I can't do that in London with this niece.

Posted by
5329 posts

Even in NYC if you share a card the extra people don't count towards the weekly cap, and will always be charged at full fare.

Sharing fare cards etc was never a feature used in London so there was no need to replicate it with contactless methods.

Posted by
7 posts

We arrived at LHR yesterday and took the Piccadilly line to Green Park station.

Very simple process. One of us tapped a credit card and the other used Apple Pay (linked to the same credit card).

This morning, looking at the credit card app, I can see that it cost $7.09 USD for each of us. Our credit card does not charge foreign currency fees.

We expect to use the Tube quite a bit during our stay, and now we know how to pay for it. :)

Posted by
5811 posts

With the current exchange rate at 1.26 $ to the £1 that feels all but right on a £5.60 fare.