Please sign in to post.

Oyster card

Some questions:
1. Is there a difference between Visitor Oyster Card and Oyster card?
2. We (grandparents) are bringing son's family including 2 kids ages 11-15 with us. Do we buy oyster cards for the kids also?
3. We will be in London for 3 1/2 days. How much do we put on the cards? We will visiting the usual London sites including Tower of London.
4. After today's news about the London Bridge attack, I'm worrying about bringing my family, even though I've never been a nervous traveler and have traveled extensively for 55 years. Comments?

Posted by
223 posts

RE: Question 4, I'll paste my comment from a separate thread:

Back on topic: travelling is up to you. I'm not the sort who'll tell people they're ridiculous to worry about danger - if you don't want to travel in lieu of recent events, then don't. At the end of the day you need to make the decision that's right for you. If you're that worried about it, then don't go. If you don't feel worried, then go. Do what is best for you.

Posted by
2773 posts

I'm still going on my trip to England in September, nothing will stop me.

Posted by
8377 posts

my understanding: the visitor card is for a set number of days. When you're done, its worthless. The normal (aka, pay-as-you-go) card is valid for whatever amount of money you put into it, and whats left (when you're done) can be refunded, or used on your next visit. The visitor card can be sent to you by mail, but the regular card has to be purchased there.

So the difference, cost-wise, depends on how much you think you will use it. The regular card has a daily max charge. We just got regular ones at the airport machine based on our estimate of how much we would use it, and got our balance refunded on the way home.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for information. Family feels we should go.
Still need answer to question 2 above! Appreciate your help.

Posted by
357 posts

The Visitor Oyster has a non-refundable purchase fee of £3 and has to be mailed to you. A regular Oyster has a refundable £5 fee. Buy them when you arrive. For adults, I would load £25 each and you can get a refund of the deposit and remaining balance before you leave.

Yes, your grandchildren will each have to have their own cards. When you purchase them at the ticket machine, the TfL attendant can program them with the Young Visitor's discount for the kids. They will get child rate fares.

Posted by
32512 posts

number 1. Visitor card costs more. You have to pay for shipping, you don't get your deposit back. They claim it is more convenient. I don't believe 'em. Getting a normal Oyster card takes seconds, you go to the issuing machine, you push the square for one, tell it how much you want to put on, pay the machine, out pops (well, falls to the pickup window) the card and your receipt. Bob's your Uncle.

number 2. see previous answers

number 3. It depends. You can ask for the money back at the end, including the deposit so as long as you don't put silly amounts on them it doesn't matter. Or if you find that you are using it more than you think you can easily top it up, To top up, just tap the card on the same or similar machine, it says what's left, you tell it how much more you want on it, pay the machine and tap the card on the pad again to take effect. Really easy, all spelled out on the screen as you go. It will depend on how the walk/ride balance goes and how much you want to do and where you are staying for how much to load on the card. £20 is easy and you can always top up or get a refund.

number 4. Nobody knows. That's the whole thing with terrorism, trying to get you scared and scare you off. You never know where it may happen, what country (could even be the good old US of A, or just a home grown loonie unhappy with the post office) or what city, or when or where. You just have to Keep Calm and Carry On. Good response by your family. May God protect you.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the very helpful information on the Oyster card.
Also thanks for your thoughts on the recent attack in London. Our hearts go out to the victims and all who were affected.
Nigel, I especially appreciated your perspective and good wishes.

Sonja

Posted by
3514 posts

I have had my Visitor Oyster for almost 10 years now. It still works, I load it with the pounds I think I will spend while there and try to leave with it drained as near to zero as possible. You cannot cash out your remaining funds on a Visitor Oyster.

When I bought mine, the visitor Oyster would never expire and lose its balance. Regular Oysters required regular use or they could expire (that's what I was told by everyone including TFL, but never got to prove that statement about regular Oysters). So my £5 deposit for the card was a sunk cost I will never recover. I didn't pay separate shipping because it was part of the airline package I was traveling on.

Posted by
32512 posts

Oyster cards never expire, and money on them is safe. They can go to sleep after many years of non-use but take just moments to wake up.

Posted by
1 posts

Just arrived London for first trip. Lots of police presence. Roads and bridges around Parliament and Westminster have barriers now. I'm more worried about getting run over by not looking in both directions. Avoid jay-walking!
Safe travels.