Please sign in to post.

Oxford or Cambridge?

If you had to pick one, which would you recommend for a day-trip out of London?

We’re not ‘museum’ people or shoppers — mostly walking about, looking at ‘interesting’ things (taking photos, etc.). ... hoping for good weather next week. (!!)

Since I'm a big fan of British mysteries I’m leaning toward Oxford but spouse is holding out for better criteria.

Posted by
16312 posts

Isn't there an Inspector Morse walking tour in Oxford?

Regardless, my Ph.D. husband would choose Cambridge to see where Watson and Crick worked on DNA. Not that we could see the actual laboratory, but just to see the setting.

Posted by
27138 posts

I've spent multiple nights in both and can't pick a favorite. Since I didn't day-trip from London, I don't know whether one is significangly faster or cheaper to reach. That's a factor I'd think worth considering. I also think a love of mysteries set in Oxford is a valid factor.

The Pitt-Rivers Museum in Oxford is not your typical art or history museum. It has a worldwide ethnographic collection with items from the Pacific, Alaska, Africa, etc. Think shrunken heads, hand-carved weapons, masks, all kinds of things. It's very impressive, and I live one mile from the Smithsonian in Washington DC.

I couldn’t pick a favourite. They’re both lovely. Oxford has Morse/Tolkien/Harry Potter links going for it, but I think it also tends to be a little busier with walking tours.

Posted by
7673 posts

Spend a day at each city, focusing on the Universities. Cambridge is more impressive from the buildings, but both have a lot to see. If you go to Oxford, you must stop at the library and visit the small but wonderful museum there. It will not take you long to see the exhibits.

Posted by
6522 posts

I've been to both, I'd recommend Cambridge for its less urban feel and the beautiful river behind the colleges. Oxford probably has more in the way of museums but they're not your priority.

Of course Oxford has Morse and Lewis locations, and it's fun to see those shows and recognize places you've been. I don't know of an equivalent Cambridge detective, but knowing something of the British detective TV world I'll bet there is one. ;-)

EDIT -- I disagree with the previous poster, who advises a day in each city. They're not the same, but they're not different enough to justify separate trips unless you have a lot of time in London, like two weeks.

Posted by
1294 posts

If it's a sunny day I'd go to Cambridge which is prettier, especially along the Backs where you can punt.

Otherwise I'd go to Oxford which has more to see, even if you don't go to the museums - suggest the Bodleian and Covered Market, for example.

I wouldn't choose based on general college "look", unless you're an expert. Oxford has Tom Quad, which is nice, but Cambridge has Trinity Great Court which is v. good too. Both cities have colleges which have impressive chapels. Oxford has Balliol which is the finest college in either and where all the best people go.

Where's your hotel in London? I might choose based on which departure station is easiest to get to from it

Posted by
32788 posts

I live halfway between both.

When I want more choice and better food I go to Cambridge.

Posted by
3 posts

I've been to both, and if I could only go to one again I would go to Cambridge. I loved the colleges there and punting on the river. But I would not be sorry to go back to Oxford either.

Posted by
4005 posts

I think whichever you choose, you'll be happy you did. Personally I liked being in Oxford better but in Cambridge, I adored the Fitzwilliam Museum. So I think it will be win/win wherever you go.

Posted by
1 posts

(I came across this 'debate' when looking for something else, and was intrigued to know the 'result' ... it seems there's no clear winner!)

They're both fabulous places. I'm a Cambridge graduate, and my daughter is still at Oxford. My personal opinion is that the stone which built the Cambridge colleges looks most magnificent in high summer, while Oxford stars in moody - more nuanced - light. If you really fancy having a go at punting on a river (active or chauffeured), with a stunning backdrop, Cambridge has the edge ... but you won't be the only one who knows that! If you arrive in winter, it seems there isn't much between Cambridge and the Urals to stop cold winds - a personal memory!

My best suggestion is that you choose whichever fits in with your other travel plans. Both cities/universities have strong links with the USA (my daughter spent time in "Dr Seuss's" old room!), and it's good to see you here!