Please sign in to post.

One Day in London in November 2024

My best friend and are planning a trip for their upcoming 60th birthday and we will have one day/night in London to enjoy. Oh, and it will be a Monday. What can we expect from the weather and with all the potential sites to see, what are some things not to miss?

Posted by
9079 posts

No one can predict the weather.

I travel to London most often in November. I take my lightweight Amazon raincoat and dress in layers. On most days some drizzle but also blue skies and sunshine.

Visit Parliament Square ( Parliament with Elizabeth’s Tower with the Big Ben bell, Westminster Abbey (pre book an admission if you desire to see inside).

You should also double check opening and closing hours of places you wish to visit. Especially St Paul’s cathedral. Same with Buckingham Palace.

I’d visit Parliament Square then walk across Westminster Bridge over to the Graffiti Tunnel
by Waterloo and then take a Jubilee Line train for 5-10 minute ride to London Bridge, exit and stroll over to Borough Market.

Posted by
1948 posts

Is the one day your arrival day, ie, what time do you expect to be through passport control & to your hotel? What I recommend will really depend on that since most popular sites require reservations (Tower of London.) I have been in November and it was cloudy and some rain and it WILL get dark early. Fingers crossed you get a sunny or partly sunny day. London can be beautiful when the sun is out.

Posted by
4553 posts

The two of you need to prioritize the two sights that are most important to you. For me, it would be either the Tower of London or Westminster Abbey and 2-3 hours at the British Museum. I would not waste time with the HOHO bus.

Posted by
2982 posts

Welcome to the forum DanaDarr. Can you clarify a couple things? Is your day in London the same day you land? When do you leave the next day and to where? Is it possible to add another day or two to London?

I ask because if you are flying from Phoenix or else where in the US, you will probably be jet lagged. Slowly walking around a museum can make you more tired. Maybe go to the Tower of London since walkways are outside.

I equate England and Ireland weather with the Pacific Northwest, cold, dank and rainy by Arizona standards. Dress accordingly and wear a hooded raincoat.

Posted by
79 posts

Just a warning over the Borough Market suggestion. It is partly closed on Mondays, just odd stalls open. Unless of course they have extended hours in the Christmas run up, so check before visiting.

Posted by
2 posts

To Clarify, we are flying in from NYC on the red-eye and will arrive at Heathrow early a.m. I'm hoping that worst case scenario we would be ready to see some sights by early afternoon. We will have the morning after to give to one last thing before we head to Southampton. We can't add any days to the stay because the real highlight of our trip is the Literary Convention at Sea on the Queen Mary II.

Parliament & Westminster are on the list along with the Eye, an elegant tea and (weather permitting) walking along the Thames. I really appreciate all the responses :)

Posted by
128 posts

Weather in London in November varies. It probably won’t be warm and could be chilly and/or wet, so have a waterproof and sweater to hand. Bear in mind that in mid November sunset is just after 4pm, so I’d plan to sightsee first and then have tea later in the afternoon when it’s getting dark.

You don’t say where you are staying but I think the train to Southampton goes from Waterloo Station which is close to the Eye and Westminster Bridge. Maybe plan to do one of these on your free morning if you can leave bags at a nearby hotel.