Please sign in to post.

Off peak train tickets

To travel from Bath to Oxford for a daytrip, I would like to buy an off peak train ticket to save some money.

1) The cheapest ticket would be to buy an advance ticket and I don't mind having to take the train in the morning at a certain time, but can you also get flexible return ticket that same day with an advance ticket that doesn't lock you at a certain time in when you have return?

2) Do I need to buy these off peak ticket in advance, or can I wait to buy them at the train station just before the train?

Should I buy them at home while I have access to a printer.

3) The off peak means that you can't travel during the busiest time of the day, and so it means that I can't get a train before 9AM.

But, is there also a restriction for afternoon trains too?

The cheapest ticket I could find is a "off peak day return" ticket.

Does that mean I can travel to Oxford from Bath only after 9AM, and I can return to Bath at anytime?

4) Is it cheaper to buy these off peak train tickets online or at the train station?

Is there a specific website you'd recommend to buy them from?

Posted by
7326 posts

1) Yes you can get a flexible return- Anytime Day Return £73.80 or Off Peak Day Return £25.50 valid on any train out after 0913 Monday to Friday, any train at all at weekends, or the advance out and a Super Off Peak Single back at £22.70 (which has the odd evening train it is not valid on).
2) You can buy at the station or on your device until a minute or two before the train is due to depart
3) afternoon restriction only applies to the 1515, 1616, 1716 and 1817 and 1916 trains
4) No, same price through any sales channel.

Many people here swear by LNER as the easiest to use site for Americans- even though you are not travelling with LNER.

All fares quoted are before any relevant railcard discount of 1/3rd (Senior, Two Together, 'Disabled', Family and Friends, under 26)

Posted by
788 posts

https://www.lner.co.uk/ A big part of LNER's ease of use was because non-UK card payments would go through without issue at a time when a number of other train operating companys' websites didn't like foreign cards. I don't think that's so much an issue as it use to be.

GWR would be a train operating company for that route if it makes a difference. https://www.gwr.com/

Posted by
2536 posts

You could just go into Bath station and ask for an off peak day return to Oxford = £25.50. Note that you will have to change trains at Didcot Parkway so be ready to leave your seat when they announce approaching Didcot Parkway.

On Saturdays only, a direct train starts in Bristol and departs Bath at 10.31 for Oxford. I think this is a bit late for your day trip but you might like to use a direct service back which leaves Oxford at 17.12 arriving Bath at 18.09.

Posted by
3 posts

I tried googling but I couldn't find all of these train routes: "1515, 1616, 1716 and 1817 and 1916 trains"

Is there a map to show what those routers are?

Posted by
33452 posts

those are departure times - 15 minutes after 3pm etc.

24 hour clock, widely used here, 1500 is 3pm, 1600 is 4pm, etc.

Posted by
2536 posts

If you type in for a journey on the following site - https://www.traintickets.com/?/- it will tell you the times and prices but it will also produce a diagrammatic map of the route. The train from Bath to Didcot will be going to London as final destination. All will be clear at the stations with signage and you can always ask staff or just other travellers.

If you have to change at Didcot Parkway, trains to Oxford normally go from P3 or 4 (with some continuing to Banbury). If you have to change at Didcot on the way back to Bath, go to P1.

Here is a diagrammatic map of the entire system. Scroll down for the south.

Posted by
34 posts

Wait a minute. So, you're telling me that with this off-peak weekday train ticket , you:

can't take the train from Oxford to Bath that leaves at 16:16 but you could take the one that leaves at 16:04

can't take the train from Oxford to Bath that leaves at 15:15 but you could take the one that leaves at 15:07

Not going to lie, this system sounds a bit strange and confusing for an outsider like me.

Is this how all the off-peak train tickets work, or is this just specific to this Bath-Oxford line?

Posted by
788 posts

can't take the train from Oxford to Bath that leaves at 16:16 but you could take the one that leaves at 16:04
can't take the train from Oxford to Bath that leaves at 15:15 but you could take the one that leaves at 15:07

It'll be because the :16/:15 trains are Cross Country where the change to Bath takes place at Reading. The :04/:07 trains are GWR and the change to Bath takes place at Didcot Parkway. The particular Off-Peak tickets discussed are generally GWR service, "Not valid for travel via (changing trains or passing through) Reading."

Different services and different routes may use the same tracks and stations.

Posted by
7326 posts

This is a bit of an odd case, as Reading is further east than Didcot. If the Cross Country service stopped at Didcot on the way from Oxford to Reading then the off peak ticket would be available on their trains between Oxford and Didcot- the approx. quarter past every hour train

So the problem is the route, not the operator. So not quite the same as VRE vs Amtrak or Metro North vs Amtrak (in New York State).

As you were talking about saving money I looked at doing train from Bath to Didcot, then the citybus from Didcot to Oxford, but you would only save £2.50 by doing that as an Off Peak Return from Bath to Didcot is £19. And the bus fare each way is £2.

If it was a one way trip, not a day return you could save money by using the train to Swindon (£14.50 Single, £14,60 return), then the bus. But the bus is not very frequent and takes too long for a day trip.

So £25.50 is the lowest available fare, without railcard reductions.

Posted by
5425 posts

If you change at Reading, you will travel through Didcot firstly on the way there, and then a second time 20 odd minutes later on the way to Oxford - it adds on a large backtracking loop to the journey even if the journey times are not quite as different as changing at Didcot.

Now some Advances have been routed that way in the past but they don't seem to be sold since the timetable was recast last year, possibly because there is more than enough travelling on the remaining Cross Country services.

Posted by
2536 posts

Cross Country Trains are long express distance trains that don’t go to London. So, the ones that go through Oxford will have come from somewhere north of Birmingham and will usually be travelling down to the south coast - say Southampton. They go non stop between Oxford and Reading - skirting Didcot. So, it is all quite logical that the lowest fare is for Bath to Didcot Parkway and then change for the short hop on a local GWR train up to Oxford.

Posted by
4085 posts

A good source for train travel, including the hunt for bargains, is usually www.seat61.com, apparently named for his favourite seat on the tunnel train.