Please sign in to post.

Northumberland

We will be spending 3 or 4 days in the Northumberland region this summer.
Can you all suggest top places to see while in the region ( we will have a car ) and if you have suggestions for B&B’s in the area ?

Posted by
6660 posts

Durham, Hexham, Hadrian's Wall. I haven't been to Newcastle or the Beamish Museum but they get recommended a lot here. Further north, Alnwick and Bamburgh Castles, and Lindisfarne if you can time it right with the tides (we didn't).

Posted by
2044 posts

Have a look at this website which has lots of ideas of things to do and see in Northumberland - just click on the name for the text pages with pictures and lots of information.

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usmapindexes/englishborders.html

Top of my list - Hadrian's wall, Kielder Lake and Forest (do a circular, up the north Tyne Valley through Bellingham and then to Kielder.village and then take the Forest drive to the A68 back to base) Alnwick Castle (a genuine lived in castle) and Gardens (the gardens are amazing) , the ruined Warkworth castle, Holy Island of Lindisfarne (make sure you check safe crossing times as the tide comes in very quickly covering the causeway and foolish motorists regularly get innundated in sea water....) boat trip to the Farne Islands, Bamburgh (castle and Grace Darling Museum) Cragside (the house where modern living began) drive up the Coquet Valley through Alwinton to the end of the road in the midst of the Cheviot (you can't get much wilder than that) .

Durham with its castle and cathedral is worth a visit if time allows. Beamish is wonderful if you want to know about how we lived BUT it is a huge site and you need a full day to do it justice (and even then you may not have time to see it all).

That is just scraping the surface and wiulkd take a week plus! Northumberland is WONDERFUL and yet to be discovered.

Posted by
2557 posts

drive up the Coquet Valley through Alwinton to the end of the road in the midst of the Cheviot (you can't get much wilder than that).

College Valley (shhh... don't tell anyone 😉)

Posted by
6113 posts

My favourite county! My choices would mirror some of the above - Cragside (my favourite National Trust property); Holy Island if the tide permits; visit the bookshop in the old railway station in Alnwick for lunch; Alnwick water gardens; walk on the beach at Bamburgh and visit the castle; Dunstanburgh castle; have lunch at Ingram cafe then walk or drive up the valley; have a singin’ hinnie (similar to a fruit scone) at the Lavender Tearoom in Etal; walk part of Hadrian’s Wall and visit Amble on the coast (several episodes of Vera were filmed here).

The last few visits have been in my caravan, but I enjoyed staying at Rosscottages.co.uk in a fabulous setting. Monchique, a cottage in Whittingham was great a couple of years ago, rented through Trip Advisor.

Posted by
223 posts

Alnmouth is a nice little coastal town close to Alnwick that doesn’t get the love it deserves