Please sign in to post.

newcastle to cotswolds

traveling next week with my husband from Newcastle to London. Want to spend one night in the cotswolds. I really don't want to stay In Stratford, but not sure where else I can go that is a little low key with lots with culture and a short train trip. Newcastle to Stratford in 2 hours and 7 mins. Newcaste to moreinton is over 3 and a half hours. Would love some suggestions ask to where to stop and stay that is off the beaten path with lots of local culture.
thanks. Lisa

Posted by
2501 posts

Newcastle to Stratford in 2 hours and 7 mins. Newcaste to moreinton is over 3 and a half hours.

Are you looking at the correct Newcastle?

Posted by
5256 posts

If you're travelling by rail from Newcastle Upon Tyne (presumably that's where you mean by Newcastle) then it's closer to 5 hours (even more if travelling via London). It's not worth it for one night.

Newcastle to Stratford upon Avon is more like four hours plus by train, with a couple of changes. About five hours to Moreton in the Marsh.

I don't know where you're looking for your train times but always start at www.nationalrail.co.uk

There is no short train ride from Newcastle to the Cotswolds I'm afraid - it's the other side of the country.

Posted by
2399 posts

It is 4 hours 46 minutes from Newcastle to Moreton-in-Marsh > with 2 changes (really awkward). If you really did wish to visit the Cotswolds from Newcastle, your best bet would be to go to Cheltenham (CNM) = 3 hours 49 minutes with 1 change at Birmingham or just over 4 hours by direct train (that takes a longer route via Leeds). I do not think it is worth going all that way for 1 night - especially as you don’t have a car to get around the Cotswold villages.

My advice would be to take the shorter train ride to York and stay overnight before continuing to London on another ticket. (Pre book your tickets now for cheapest prices).http://www.visityork.org/?AskRedirect=true

York is a really good suggestion. Beautiful historic small city with a river & plenty of mediaeval buildings. Great place for a one-night stay and an obvious stopping point between Newcastle and London.

Still puzzling where you got your train times. Lots of similarly named places all over the UK but I can't find somewhere that sounds like Newcastle that's two hours from somewhere that sounds like Stratford.

Posted by
2501 posts

I can't find somewhere that sounds like Newcastle that's two hours from .... Stratford.

Newcastle under Lyme???

Posted by
8889 posts

And "moreinton" equally doesn't exist. You probably mean "Moreton-in-Marsh", which is in the Cotswolds. But there are many more "Moreton" in the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moreton

You really need to use the full place name when you do searches and when you post, and spell it correctly, or you will get very confused. Example: http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/27/cyclist-ends-up-in-birmingham-uk-after-mistaking-it-for-birmingham-alabama-6958755/

Posted by
2399 posts

It is around 1 hour from Newcastle upon Tyne to York. Even pre-booking a specific train the day before will get you a 1 way fare of around £11 each.