Please sign in to post.

New Years Eve in London

My husband and I will be in London on New Years Eve - mainly because this time of year is when we could travel, not at all because we wanted to visit another city during New Years. We're not huge on waiting around in crowds for countdowns or fireworks or anything. What would you do if you were in London on NYE?

I was thinking maybe make a late dinner reservation at a nice restaurant, but wondering if there was another category of activity that we missed. Thank you!

Posted by
7834 posts

Do what you would do if you decided to go out on New Years eve in a major city in the USA.

Posted by
521 posts

Two years ago, I saw Phantom of the Opera in London on New Year’s Eve!

Posted by
32742 posts

Just stay away from the river and Trafalgar Square.

All the events along the river are ticketed.

The tube is free on that night, after something like 11 or midnight.

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you! If we just wanted to go to a pub, is it like the US where most bars take reservations in advance and are packed?

Posted by
33 posts

We were in London last New Years Day, but arrived early that morning. We aren't big on count-downs either, so probably would have opted for a dinner and maybe a play if we had been in town on New Year's Eve. However, we did stand and walk among the fairly large crowds for the London New Year’s Day Parade (LNYDP). Unless it changes, it starts at Noon; runs from Piccadilly (Green Park tube station; Ritz Hotel) to Whitehall near Parliament Square (3:30 finish). It was interesting for a while--we didn't stay for the whole thing--and a bit different than what I expected in that there were a number of high school bands from the U.S. and also groups of different ethnicity performing as a demonstration of cultural pride. I believe there is a competition among the different sections of the metropolitan area.

Posted by
5261 posts

Thank you! If we just wanted to go to a pub, is it like the US where most bars take reservations in advance and are packed?

Yes it is. You'll pay a premium to enter somewhere that is free on every other day of the year, wait ages to get served and stand around hemmed in by hordes of other people pretending that they're having a really good time when in fact they'd wished they'd done something else instead.

I stopped enjoying NYE after my early 20's but then I am particularly grumpy. My option would be to opt for a nice meal, plenty of excellent options throughout London.

Posted by
4684 posts

The fireworks are broadcast on TV at midnight, which I think is the best way to experience them.

Posted by
31 posts

Thank you! JC, that sounds like what we are interested in! Do you have any recommendations?

Posted by
5261 posts

Thank you! JC, that sounds like what we are interested in! Do you have any recommendations?

Unfortunately no. I don't tend to offer restaurant recommendations as tastes are too subjective. What I may consider good food others would not.

London is crammed full of restaurants in all locations, for all budgets, all cuisines, some of which will be open on NYE some of which may not. Your best bet is to look at some of the London restaurant guides and critic reviews (don't bother with Tripadvisor) and see if any catch your fancy, then you can enquire about any NYE event, menu etc.

Posted by
3753 posts

As long as you're willing to pay to enter a pub or a bar, you may as well make reservations for Sky Garden and get a view. They have an outdoor terrace (on 36th floor) where you could get a view of London.
https://skygarden.london/
Several restaurants and bars from which to choose.
Fenchurch Restaurant
Fenchurch Terrace
Darwin Brasserie
City Garden Bar
Sky Pod Bar
It might be worth putting up with the crowds and the expense to have a bird's eye view at midnight when the fireworks take place down by the river.