Please sign in to post.

New Years Day 2017 transportation from London to Bath

Hello,

Forgive me if this was posted elsewhere, but if so, I was unable to find the answer.

We are planning on flying to London (LHR) January 1st, and we had thought to take a train to Bath as soon as we landed to stay there for a couple of days. I am worried about reduced or canceled train schedules, and as it's so far out, I've not been able to find posted schedules for NYD.

Will we be able to get a train or some kind of transport to Bath from LHR on New Years Day?

Thank you,

Posted by
4684 posts

New Year's Day services are usually identical or similar to a normal Sunday, but it's possible that there may be major construction work over the Christmas period. I don't think details have been released yet.

Note that there are no direct long-distance rail services from Heathrow - for Bath you would have to either take the Heathrow Express/Connect train to London Paddington or the bus to Reading.

Posted by
4157 posts

Or you can take a bus directly to Bath -- http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx. Check the schedules.

You can buy your ticket in Terminal 5. There's a short ride from there to the main bus terminal at Terminal 2-3. There's a bit of a layover there. The coffee shop helps.

It's a cheap ride and I found that it was cheaper to buy the ticket from T5 than from T2-3. I would not get the ticket in advance in case the plane is late. You get it from a real person, not a machine.

The bus arrives at the main bus station in Bath. It's next door to the train station.

BTW, do you leave (the US?) on 1/1 or arrive (LHR) on 1/1?

Posted by
9 posts

We arrive to LHR on 1/1.

Thank you for your replies-this is very helpful!