Please sign in to post.

New Year's in London

Greetings fellow travelers,

I am headed to London in late December and will be there over New Year's. This will be our first time there and I have two questions...

1. Where should we stay? I would like a place close to the tube, safe area and ideally a place that gives off the London Christmas Vibe. I've been looking online and I feel that I'm running around in circles. I would like to stay under $350 per night.

2. What to do for New Year's? I'm going with my husband and son who will be 19 years old.

Thanks,
Stacey

Posted by
32750 posts

Are you arriving after Boxing Day, or before Christmas?

Posted by
6113 posts

Are you in London for Christmas and New Year? There isn't much of a Christmas vibe in London compared with other countries. Visit the South Bank for the Christmas markets and the Wonderland at Marble Arch, which can get hideously busy at night. There are sometimes carols sung in Trafalgar Sq before Christmas in the evening, but these will not be announced until nearer the time. If you are not in London until after Christmas, I am not sure which of these will still be open.

The main shopping streets will have Christmas lights. Regent St has for the last few years had dreadful lights sponsored by that well-known British company Disney, which will be advertising their latest film. Oxford St is usually OK and Carnaby St is much better. Look in Burlington Arcade - their lights are good.

We use £ here not $ for pricing hotels. All central areas are safe and as the attractions are widely spaced, it doesn't matter where you stay, as you will always be close to some attractions and further from others. Accommodation over Christmas and New Year will be more expensive and there are transport and shop closures over the Bank Holidays. The weather should be OK as London gets little snow.

Posted by
58 posts

Thank you everyone! We are arriving on Tuesday, the day after boxing day. I would like to take a day trip to one of the small towns outside London.

Thanks,

Posted by
919 posts

I'll suggest Baker Street. Close to Bakerloo and tube access to sites, museums, theaters. You can walk to Oxford Street or Marylebone. There's a small movie theatre on Baker in case anyone wants to catch a flick. There's a Tesco Express near the Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes if you need snacks. Plenty of pubs and coffee shops. Nice mix of business/neighborhood feel.