Please sign in to post.

New Tenner (£10 Note) - Sept 2017

Hi,

As I understand it, a new £10 note will be issued this September. I did a search online and could not find any information regarding how the transition to the new notes will be handled. I'll be in London later this year so I can use up any current notes that I have. Is there a fixed date after which these soon to be old notes will no longer be widely accepted?

Thank you.

Posted by
1069 posts

Do you have any old paper £5 notes, they have been replaced with polymer ones recently.

Posted by
16312 posts

I gave away my 5-pound notes to a friend who was traveling before they expired (last October). Now I have to worry about my tenners?

Posted by
4684 posts

It's usually a few months afterwards. Sorry, that should be Bank of England

Posted by
4049 posts

Just back from England where staff who handle money were warning tourists about the demise of the old 5 pound note. The new one is some sort of polymer, slippery to handle but will survive a washing machine (we've had them in Canada for awhile; so have Australians.)

Posted by
1804 posts

I got rid of my fivers last year. I just wanted to get some information on the new ten GBP note.

Posted by
2512 posts

No fixed date for the new £10 has been confirmed yet. It will be issued sometime in September 2017.

The new polymer £5 began to be issued six months before the paper £5 note was withdrawn. Expect a similar transition period for £10 note.

Check the Bank of England's website in September for the latest information.

Posted by
5329 posts

The transition for the £5 note was exceptionally short because of the introduction of the new £10 at more or less the same size as the old £5. With the new £20 not scheduled until 2020 there might not be the imperative. However, maybe wise even so to not keep them just in case. I witnessed some people the other week in Belfast in a bank vainly trying to change a number of old 'Elgar' £20 which were withdrawn as far back as 2010.

Posted by
7175 posts

"we've had them in Canada for awhile; so have Australians"

um ... yes we have, we invented them. Lol.

Posted by
2512 posts

and to further clarify - there are no branches just the main building in London.

and coins are not issued by the BoE but by the Royal Mint

Posted by
420 posts

Thanks to this thread I've discovered that I still have 3 of the old 'Elgar' £20 notes. Hoping that the tiny branch of my bank in mid-Wales will be willing to change them. Otherwise I shall have to take the tedious route of posting them to the Bank of England. Not going anywhere near Lonon on my forthcoming trip.