Please sign in to post.

New London Underground Strikes 8 April and 4 May 2024- NOW CANCELLED

ASLEF Drivers have announced new strikes on the London Overground on Monday 8 April and Saturday 4 May.

If the strikes happen the whole system is expected to be closed.

This is over changes to working conditions

EDIT 4 April- Both strike dates are now CANCELLED- Services will operate as normal- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68732126

Posted by
2745 posts

Thanks! Since I will be there 8 April if any locals have advice I'd love to hear from you. Here's my real questions

I need to leave for the airport early 9 April I am wondering if the Tube will be back to normal early that day. if not one option is to move this stay to a hotel near Paddington to take either the Elizabeth Line (which I hear is not as affected by these strikes) or Heathrow Express. I am currently staying for a few days near Earls Court due to the ease of the Piccadilly line on both my arrival to London on the Eurostar and the departure on Heathrow.

Posted by
5758 posts

Officially the strike ends at 2359 on 8 April, but it would be no great surprise if early services on 9 April were affected.

These cases are always really hard as unlike on National Rail LUL strikes have a habit of being called off at the last moment. Not always, but quite often.

National Express pick up at Earl's Court at 0400, 0505, 0605, 0630 and half hourly for the non stop journey to Heathrow. Depending on the individual journey that is between £6.60 and £10.50 in fare. The buses have started at Victoria.

That is what I would do personally is to remain at Earls Court and take the bus but YMMV.

For a higher £12 fare the bus ticket can be cancelled until 24 hours beforehand, so I would have nothing to lose by doing that.

Posted by
2745 posts

Thanks!

Still a little concerned about the bus so I will have to "think" . I figure that might be very popular and being the "second stop" is a risk IMHO. I do have an option that I like about a mile from Paddington so I can walk if needed :)

Posted by
5758 posts

@ Carol- An update from TfL this morning-

On Tuesday 9 April and Sunday 5 May, London Underground services may start later than normal. We expect that a good service will be running by mid-morning.

So that is your answer. Often it takes time for that kind of detail to emerge.

Posted by
2745 posts

@isn31c

Thanks! Not the news I wanted but at least I am prepared. (I have an 11 AM flight so "mid morning" is a little late. Will have to go with plan B :)

Posted by
32765 posts

see the top, deep breaths and relax... strikes off

Posted by
89 posts

Thanks so much for the wonderful news!

We will be there May 4 and had been adjusting our day, but now we have so much more freedom to pivot depending on the weather and our energy level!

Posted by
366 posts

Thanks for this info! We will arrive May 5, so glad our morning transport shouldn't be affected.

Posted by
322 posts

Thank you for the update. Makes my short visit much easier

Posted by
7360 posts

We’d come up with Plans B and C, buses and/or an Uber Boat to Greenwich, rather than sticking to the central London area on Monday, 8 April, but now we can go back to Plan A. Yea!

I wonder if the drivers are developing other plans, as well, and there might be bigger strikes upcoming?

In a slightly related, but completely separate situation, the ski patrollers at Eldora ski area near Boulder, Colorado just voted to unionize. There’s no talk of striking, but they want to start receiving Overtime pay after working 40 hours in a week, rather than the current 56.