Please sign in to post.

Need help: Heathrow to a National Rail Station (Paddington or Victoria) December 27, 2015.

A special shout out to our British posters here, I need your help. We arrive December 27, 2015 at 7:00 a.m. from Chicago. My original plan was to take the Heathrow Connect to Paddington, purchase our National Rail 7 day paper cards (we are using 2-1 Days out vouchers) and then take tube to South Kensington, which is near our hotel.

HOWEVER, I just looked at the Connect website and read that the Connect line (and I assume the Express uses the same tracks) is closed for repair until December 28th.

Questions: 1) Will the National Rail ticket offices be open on December 27, 2015 at Paddington or Victoria? I checked the National Rail page, could not find this.

2) Is my better option to tube on Piccadilly line to Paddington or to another National Rail station?

3) Cab or bus to a National Rail station?

4) Will be traveling with husband and three tired, post-Christmas teens - maybe splurge on a cab?
Thank you!

Posted by
5361 posts

Both the Heathrow Express and Connect are out of action until 29 December for Crossrail construction.

Booking a private hire car is one option. For public transport I would suggest going to South Kensington, dump your stuff at the hotel and walk to Victoria (about 2.5km) if it is a reasonably decent day - might wake you all up. Otherwise just carry on the District Line to Victoria.

Posted by
340 posts

Marie, the cash fare for 5 of you from Heathrow to the South Kensington tube stop will be £30 (£6 each), and then from South Kensington tube to the Victoria tube stop will be £24 (if you decide not to take the half-hour walk). You might want to get a quote from a private car service for pick-up at Heathrow to the Victoria Train Station, buy your 7-day paper travelcards, then hop on the tube back to South Kensington for your hotel. Remember that passport size photos for everyone are required to purchase the rail issued 7-day card.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
4684 posts

For five people in total you will need to get a black cab, or specifically arrange for a people carrier from the car company. With that many people a black cab might end up being decent value for money.

However, the trip from Heathrow to South Kensington by tube is simple - take the Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith and then cross the platform for a District Line train in the same direction to South Kensington. You can take the Piccadilly all the way to South Kensington but you will have to take a long escalator up to the surface which may be a problem with heavy luggage.

Posted by
5361 posts

You could get a black cab for half the price of cash fares between South Ken and Victoria for 5.

Posted by
299 posts

Thank you for your posts. I am always leery of pre-arranging airport transport because you never know about delays, etc. and cellphone use can be restricted as we pass through immigration.

Thank being said: 1) Can we get a "black cab" that fits five with luggage from a cab stand or other point at Heathrow as we exit the terminal and will that be more expensive than booking ahead? 2) Using the Piccadilly tube, there is no way around the fact we will pay that fare "outside" of the 7 day travel passes we are getting at a National Rail Station?

Posted by
33149 posts

Your follow up question number 2 - If you want to have your transportation to and from the airport all rolled up with your 7 day Travelcard you - could get a 7 day all zones Travelcard which would include as many trips to Heathrow as you may feel inclined to take. It would be a waste of money, but you could do it. It also would not be valid for the Days Out promotion 2-4-1. The advantage is for a pass issued at an Underground station you don't need a photocard.

You see, most sightseeing opportunities are in central London, pretty much all will be within Zone 1 and a few in Zone 2 Only a very few visitors ever venture beyond Zones 1 and 2.

Far better to have a small Pay As You Go Oyster Card, or pay a cash fare, or use a contactless card from home (works just like an Oyster but without having to register it or load it with cash) for the journeys to and from the airport and buy your separate National Rail 7 day Travelcard from a train station in central London near your digs.

Posted by
5361 posts

TfL gives the broad guideline of a black cab from LHR to Central London as £45-£85; it is hard to know relating to location, traffic condition etc.