Please sign in to post.

My May 2019 England trip

7th trip to the UK, shaking things up a bit and seeing some new cities. Nothing has been booked yet, but that’ll start tomorrow.

Friday May 3, fly from Chicago to Manchester, take train to Newcastle. Does Edinburgh make more sense to fly to?

Saturday May 4-Wednesday May 8. Jury Hotel in Newcastle, definitely a day trip to Durham, probably a day trip to York. I have friends in both Newcastle and Durham. Durham cathedral, Durham university and Newcastle castle are my only must visits.

Wednesday May 8 -Friday May 10. Train from Newcastle to Nottingham. Day trip to Lincoln on May 9 to see the castle and cathedral as well as the steep hill. On May 8 in Nottingham visit the castle and Nottingham contemporary art gallery. Probably stay at Premier Inn or Ibis .

May 10-13. Train from Nottingham to Manchester. Visit People’s History Musuem, National Football Museum , and the Gay Village. I’ve been to Manchester 4 times will also probably take a day trip to Liverpool. Probably stay at the Premier Inn Portland Street or the Ibis on Princess Street.

May 14, fly from Manchester to Chicago

What do you think?. My interests are castles, cathedrals, art, film, beer, classical music, theatre, good and inexpensive restaurants, history, politics,coffeehouses, used bookstores, and much more.

Posted by
1448 posts

I think you trip plan is wonderful. When we were in England; we enjoyed the Midlands and places that were not yet normalized into Cosmopolis but retained some of their own identities and history. Also I love that you are looking to partake of the local Arts and Music scene. Some people say they are not interested in museums...if you don't learn about the places and peoples you are visiting...why bother leaving home? We enjoyed the use of an Overseas Visitor Touring Pass from the National Trust UK, you can order it online. You can get some great ideas on where to go. It took us to several remarkable places with original furnishings art and collectables. Have been to the Welsh Castles? We loved Durham Cathedral. Read the Venerable Bede's history of St. Cuthbert who's bones are in a closet there. You will be close to Hadrian's Wall if you haven't been.

Posted by
3122 posts

I'll just say it's refreshing to see someone visiting places that aren't on the usual list! Durham is a jewel. If you take a day trip from Manchester to Liverpool, I highly recommend the Magical Mystery Tour bus and having a cup of tea or snack in the Hard Day's Night Hotel.

To your question about flying into Edinburgh -- I would say not, unless (a) the fare is a lot cheaper, enough to make up the train fare and time taken getting to/from Newcastle, or (b) you're considering spending a couple of days to see the sights of Edinburgh instead of following your stated itinerary.

Posted by
7662 posts

I would plan for two days for York. There is much to see. Just going to the Munster will take three hours. Walking the Walls is a must. There are a couple of very nice museums, not counting the National Railway Museum that is wonderful.
Durham is great, you can see the Cathedral and more in a day.

Posted by
1 posts

Hi. Newcastle is my home town, and I live in Yorkshire, so I know the area well.
Get the train to Newcastle from Manchester Airport it's around 2 and a half hours. In Newcastle you will want to see the castle, the city walls, especially the West Wall, which is in Newcastles vibrant China Town district, and St Nicholas Cathedral just by the castle. Visit the Quayside to see the famous bridges, and walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Baltic Gallery of Modern Art (it's also free to get in). Even if you don't like Modern Art it's worth visiting just to go to the rooftop viewing gallery. Lunch at the Pitcher and Piano on the northern end of the Millenium Bridge is worth it just for the view. Get the train or a bus to Durham, or even a taxi, it's not far. The cathedral is stupendous, and the location breathtaking. It's also worth visiting nearby Washington and seeing George Washington's house for some American history. Back in Newcastle hop on the Metro to Wallsend and visit the Roman museum at Sedgedunum. Wallsend is at the end of Hadrians Wall, and there is a very good visitor centre there.

Hop back on the Metro and go to Tynemouth. Postcard pretty, with stunning sea and river views, and long sandy beaches with some very hardy surfers always there. Some great little restaurants in Tynemouth Village, notably Allards, or take a walk to the nearby Fish Quay for superb fish and chips at Christians. There is also a very good cafe at the southern end of Tynemouth beach, right on the beach under the Grand Hotel.

Regarding food, there are some great value restaurants. Santana's in Jesmond do great pizza and pasta, for £5.95. In the city you will find most of the usual chains. Head for the Bigg Market for a curry, Chinatown for Chinese Food, or the quayside for smaller, more quirky places, but Newcastle is a real party city, so it's very lively on a Saturday night, especially as Newcastle United are playing at home on 4th May (v Liverpool) and 50,000 thirsty supporters leave the ground to celebrate or drown their sorrows. The Geordies (Newcastles inhabitants) are incredibly friendly, so expect to be the centre of attraction.

Go to York on your way to Nottingham. Lots to see, but first job is walk around the city walls. National Railway museum is superb, the Minster is astonishing, and the general ambience is relaxed and prosperous. Try the "Go Down" restaurant near Clifford's Tower, and have a beer in the Kings Arms on the riverside, the most flooded pub in England. If you want something different go to Selby, (15 mins by train) and visit Selby Abbey to see the Washington window with the Washington family coat of arms, considered to be the inspiration for the Stars and Stripes, and an fine example of an abbey church. Some nice little restaurants in this pretty, small English town, at out-of-town prices.

There is not a lot of Nottingham Castle to see, but the city has some interesting history, and the smallest pub in England. Jack Straws House is worth a visit as a perfectly preserved 1930's workmanship house.

Lincoln is very beautiful, and the cathedral tower is the highest in England. It's a sort of mini-York, with fewer tourists, and is worth a visit.

In Manchester do the Science Museum. Manchester saw Rutherford split the atom, Frank Whittle invent the jet engine, Allan Turing invent the worlds first programmable computer, the industrialisation of cotton spinning, and the creation of Rolls Royce so it's worth a visit. Also go to the Manchester Art Gallery especially to see their collection of Pre Raphaelite works.

Liverpool is a half hour by train from Manchester. See the Cavern Club and hear tribute bands play where the Beatles once did, do the double decker bus trip, and get off and have a beer in The Philharmonic pub (John Lennon said "the price of fame is not being able to have a pint in The Phil"), and walk around the docks.

Have a great trip.

Posted by
1943 posts

As a person who fell in love with York, I'd say spend two days. The city and countryside is probably the loveliest of the cities you will be visiting. JMO

Posted by
841 posts

Sounds like a great trip! Lincoln and Durham are both gems!

Posted by
8374 posts

We stayed at Hampton Inn and Suites in Newcastle and were quite pleased. The price was very reasonable. Located across the street from the train station.

Have you already been to the Hadrian’s Wall Area? You mentioned you like history and this area is rich in it. It can be a great day trip from Newcastle.