Please sign in to post.

museum of London

We are thinking about going to see the museum of London, is it worth the time? I am wanting to know the history of London and see the Roman exhibits I hear they have part of the Roman wall too. Any tips would be helpful. THANK YOU

Posted by
53 posts

I really like this museum. I think it does a great job of taking visitors through the different eras of London's history.

Posted by
52 posts

We went there in January and really enjoyed it. And yes, you can see a part of the Roman wall.

Posted by
8645 posts

I ALWAYS recommend this great museum to first time London visitors. Excellent exhibits providing a detailed explanation of how London evolved.

Go early then enjoy lunch at the nearby Pret a Manger. Wonderful freshly made salads, sandwiches and soups.

Posted by
2181 posts

We were fascinated with this museum and we had lunch after at Pret-a-Manger.

Posted by
6486 posts

We also liked the Museum of London, especially for the Roman exhibits. Whether it's "worth the time" depends on how long you have. If just a couple of days, well, no. If a week or more, absolutely!

Posted by
5326 posts

It is good on the early aspects of London; less good in my opinion on London from the 18th century onwards, but that is covered more at the Museum of London site in Docklands.

Posted by
660 posts

It is a good museum, walking distance from St. Paul's, and free to enter, currently. It is just about the history of London though, so if that interests you, great. If you go, and it's not what you'd hoped for, you're still right in the heart of London and haven't spent anything to get in, so you've not really lost much.

It starts with the very beginnings of London as you walk in, and as you follow the natural, logical path through the museum, you progress through time to modern day. It's much bigger inside than I thought.

I found the 1900's - 2000's the most interesting, but I'm not a history fan to be honest, and rarely visit museums. My personal highlight was the original (and only) London 2012 Olympic Cauldron, which is huge! I have particularly fond memories on the London Olympics, and for me, this piece alone made the visit worthwhile.

Posted by
3940 posts

Another vote for enjoyed it! We went in 2008, and I think we even ran out of time near the end - spent a good few hours there before they closed. Reminds me - I'll have to return next time we are in London to see what we missed.

Posted by
670 posts

We went to this museum after a recommendation by a friend. My husband spent most of the time in the Roman section. I enjoyed exhibits on Victorian London and other time periods downstairs. We went on a Sunday (after attending church at John Wesley's church--yes, I am a Methodist) and walked to the Museum which was not too crowded. We then walked across the Thame; it all made for a lovely day.

Posted by
353 posts

Add me to the chorus of ppl who love this museum!

In the interests of full disclosure, I love museums in general, history-related museums especially, and London, so I am probably the ideal visitor for the museum. It is also a very well done museum.

Posted by
11300 posts

It took us until the third trip to get around to the MOL, but it is indeed worthy of an hour or two. Very busy on a weekday afternoon with schoolchildren, by the way. Nice to see them exploring their history.