Please sign in to post.

Medication

Hi.
My husband and I are heading to England and Scotland soon. We are flying Delta airlines. In the Delta customer service they state that your medication doesn’t need to be in prescription bottles. We are on medication and supplements that would take up so much space. We use a 7 day mediset. Do you think the mediset will work for us? Has anyone else traveled using a mediset? Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us!

Posted by
700 posts

For the uninitiated, what is a mediset?

Posted by
4140 posts

I use one all the time . I charge it up once a week , it's much easier than doing it every day . as I'm sure you know . I'll be heading to the UK next month , for a protracted visit , so I'll also be bringing along a supply of my prescriptions in vials , adequate to see me through . If you are going for a week ( I get that impression ) , bring along some extra to cover yourself if an unforeseen delay arises .

Posted by
1653 posts

I always use a pill organizer. I used to take photos of my prescription labels, just in case, but it's never been an issue, so I don't bother anymore.

Posted by
2736 posts

I use tiny ziplock pill bags. A ask the pharmacist for a duplicate label to put on the bag. For OTC pills and vitamins my hubby makes labels using his handy dandy label maker. I take antibiotics and old pain pills in their original bottles. I take enough meds for each day I travel plus 7 in case there is a delay.

Posted by
5581 posts

Similar to Horsewofie, I have two ziplocks, one morning, one night, I dump the appropriate pills in each. I use labels from my pharmacist (the same that goes on the pill containers) to affix to the ziplocks. The only caveat, if you take a controlled substance, for example, I have a couple kids on adderall, I bring those in the original containers.

Also, an additional hint, I add about 5 extra of each medication to my bag, never know what might happen, flight delays, etc.

Posted by
81 posts

What an airline says will only apply to the flight - and have no bearing on the rules of the country visited. I would always check the official government pages of the destination.

The good news is that the UK is on the list of most relaxed in terms of sensible personal amounts of medication.

Personally I would always carry original packaging. I also have a photo of my prescription on my phone - but that said, I have never had it questioned or looked at in multiple countries.

If you don't want to take all your packaging I would still consider it for anything that would be a controlled substance if it wasn't a medication, if you happen to have anything like that.

Posted by
15016 posts

I fly in and ouf of the UK several times a year. Not all of my medications are in their original containers. As long as you have a copy of the prescription label, you'll be fine.

Posted by
4322 posts

I take labels but also have my pills in daily containers. My medications have never been questioned-and a bunch of daily pills that all look different does not look like drug smuggling.

Posted by
5264 posts

I always travel with a pill organiser and never had an issue. It's always in my personal bag so that I don't have to worry about lost luggage. Travelling to and from the UK to Europe, US, Asia and never encountered any issues. It's quite obvious that it's medication for personal use rather than illicit drugs.

Posted by
531 posts

In the past, I've copied labels, cut them out and put them into a ziploc with the pills. This serves two purposes, 1.) in case I'm asked, 2.) and in case they are lost. You just never know and I like to be prepared in case I get a cold or similar. I don't want to have to hike around town to find an equivalent (that may not be an equivalent). I don't bring crazy amounts of anything, just enough for my trip, and they have come in handy in the past!