Please sign in to post.

May Weather

Is May a good month to visit weather wise? Looking at the second or third week.

Posted by
2483 posts

depends what you mean by "good"

hurricanes hardly ever happen

might rain a bit, might not; might be warm, might not

no one knows!

English weather is very unpredictable. This April we've had both unseasonably warm weather (low 20s Celsius) followed by a long run of very cold weather (including frost and snow). No one knows what May will bring yet!

However, what you do get in May (and June) is lovely long hours of daylight. The weather might not be predictable but the daylight hours are. Plus, flowers and blossom are out so it all looks very lovely (unless of course you have allergies).

Posted by
11294 posts

"hurricanes hardly ever happen"

Thanks for the My Fair Lady reference!

Posted by
3719 posts

Yes, May is a good month to visit. We were in London and the English countryside for most of last May. The days we were in London it was sunny and hot.

We had no rain except for one day when we were staying in Salisbury and went out early to visit Stonehenge. We had a misty foggy gray day that actually suited the mood of Stonehenge.

The days we visited the Cotswolds were mid-May and perfect.

The only thing that would make May not perfect would be if you have allergies. I do, and I spent several days that were miserable. Flowers are blooming, and there are several types of trees in London and around that caused me to sneeze. If you have allergies, do not forget to take your meds with you. I did take my meds with me, but those that work for me in the U.S. did not help against the plants I encountered in England! I did go to a pharmacy (Boots), and the pharmacist recommended some hay fever meds for me that worked against the English pollen.

So, if you tend to have severe allergies, then no, May is not a good month for you. You would want to go in the fall or winter when the plants are not in full bloom.

If you do not have allergies (or can keep them under control) May is a great time for seeing the lovely gardens in bloom around some of the historic houses and castles.

Posted by
239 posts

It is a great time to see the hegerows blaze with May blossom.

Posted by
6431 posts

We've had great May days and not-so-good May days. I'd say it's one of the better months to choose, especially with the blooms and the daylight.