Please sign in to post.

May 2023 best London airbnb neighborhood to Stay

Anyone have any advice for our first trip to London? Will be doing some regular tourist things and we love to walk…..new to using airbnb so we could use advice….give me some do this, don’t do that opinions for London!

Posted by
501 posts

London is huge, with many, many neighbourhoods, so it’s tricky listing all the suitable ones!

Personally I like something central but quieter, like Bloomsbury, Marylebone or Fitzrovia. There’s a lot of love in this forum for South Kensington, between the Gloucester Road and Earls Court tube stations.

Airbnbs will be small so look carefully at the room sizes. Don’t expect air conditioning in an Airbnb and also I think American visitors to London could write essays about how combined washer-dryers absolutely do not dry your clothes…

I would always prefer a serviced apartment type, such as Marlin or Native to an Airbnb in London, as I think they’re just more reliable in terms of quality.

London is great for walking but it’s huge, so you’ll also want to use public transport. The tube is great, but buses are a lot of fun (the normal double decker route buses, not the hop-on-hop-off tour buses).

Posted by
1326 posts

While it’s fine to start looking around at neighbourhoods now, I definitely wouldn’t book an air BNB this far out.

Others will be more familiar with actual air BNBs, but I’d keep aware of any possible legal issues. Before Covid, air BNB was a touchy political issue. So, I’d keep in mind that new rules could be issued at any time.

Posted by
8680 posts

Travel off season to avoid the hordes.

Consider staying at a Premier Inn. The one near Victoria Station or the one near County Hall are great for first time visitors.

Victoria Station one is within walking distance of the Palace and Parliament Square ( Parliament, Elizabeth’s Tower with the Big Ben Bell ) and Westminster Abbey. Also close to the Churchill War Rooms. From Parliament Square you have options:
1.) Follow Birdcage walk adjacent to St James Park up to Buckingham Palace. Then walk past the Queen Victoria statute, crossing The Mall and walk into Green Park. Then onto Piccadilly Circus

OR walk back down the mall from the palace and follow Whitehall up to Trafalgar Square. You’ll stroll past the gate where 10 Downing Street is and past the Horseguards.

OR my preferred route walk along the Horse Guards Road past the entrance to the Churchill War Rooms and the adjacent Horse Guards Parade Ground
( check their website when they leave to ride up to the Palace for the Changing of the Guard especially now HRH has chosen to stay and live at Windsor Castle)

The County Hall one is adjacent to the London Eye and Jubliee Park. Walk out the front door, turn left, walk along the Thames Path, up the stairs and cross Westminster Bridge to Parliament Square.

Make sure you have tap and pay Credit or Debit card to use on public transport. Or research if Oyster Cards will still be in existence and useable. I’m traveling to London next month. Was there last Fall and the Oyster was still being used. Anxious to see if that remains a viable option as I like it. If I lost my Oyster Card I’d be annoyed but not as ticked off as I would be if I lost a credit or debit card. Each of you will need an Oyster Card. Refundable £ 5 deposit. Kiosk machines at Heathrow. Riding up top in the front row of a bus is a great way to see London BUT traffic is abysmal especially near the “ tourist sites.”

Tube and walking are the best means of getting around London.

Helpful websites:
tfl.gov.uk
Londonist
TimeOut
SpottedByLocals
EaterLondon
RoyalParks

Being visiting London for nearly 50 years. Always changing, always the same. Favorite city on the planet. Never bored!

Have a great first time visit.

EDIT: forgot to include the Vancouver Studio Apartments in Princes Square and my go to for decades 63 Bayswater. Breakfast is included in the rental price. 15 minute stroll from Paddington Station. Across the road from the Lancaster Gate into Hyde Park. 100 yards from Lancaster Gate Underground.
Definitely check to see if available for your travel dates. Favorite dining spots close-by are: Tudkin Flavors of Malaysia restaurant, Shelia’s Cafe
( breakfast …hope they survived Covid) across from the Mitre Paddington and the Victoria Paddington Pub.

PM if you want more intel about where to go and what to see on your first visit. I’m off to Wimbledon next month!