Please sign in to post.

Manchester

I should have asked if Manchester would be a better base (history and art) with day trips by train to other places. Thanks.

Posted by
32212 posts

Of the two places you mentioned, IMO Manchester would be a better "home base". There are some interesting sights there, and it's relatively close to Liverpool (for those who are Beatles fans). I really enjoyed the Imperial War Museum North in Manchester.

Posted by
6113 posts

I would head to Manchester over Birmingham.

It has the free Imperial War Museum North, the Lowry nearby for your interest in art (plus Old Trafford if you are interested in football). Manchester City centre has many fine Victorian buildings including the Town Hall and visit the Great Hall inside the Central Library. There are several other good museums and galleries in the city centre.

Near the airport is Quarry Bank, a National Trust property, unusually for them preserving some industrial heritage rather than just grand houses. It’s a former cotton mill built in the 1780s and although most of the looms have gone, some working examples remain and are demonstrated. Have lunch or a coffee at Earlam’s, a community run cafe between the train station and Quarry Bank.

For something non touristy but to see how locals live, take the train from Manchester Victoria to Greenfield. Have a coffee opposite the station at Station Brew then walk down the hill and towards the village. Scona near Tesco is another good coffee spot and as the name suggests, their scones are amazing (best I have ever had). Before you get to Tesco, take the canal towpath towards Uppermill and walk the mile or so to this traditional village. There are many options for lunch then head to the local museum (open 1-4 daily). It’s nothing flash, but the locals are friendly.

An alternative would be to take the train to Greenfield then catch a bus to Holmfirth, where Last of the Summer Wine was filmed.

York is an hour and a quarter away on the quickest trains, but the TPE service has a dreadful reputation for delays and cancellations.

Liverpool is an easy day trip as is Chester. I visited Chester a few months ago and was struck by the number of vacant shops, but the historical buildings remain.

Posted by
5264 posts

I would opt for Manchester over Birmingham.

Posted by
7668 posts

I would opt for neither Manchester of Birmingham, but a nice English small city or town. Chester is historic and at a good location for visiting N. Wales or S. England. Also, York is fantastic, we loved York.

Posted by
15013 posts

Manchester is a much better base than Birmingham. And a nicer city.

I've been many times and you can get to many places within 90 minutes---Liverpool, York, Chester, Holmfirth, etc. And Birmingham if you really want to see that city.

Manchester has an excellent transportation system to get around--both buses and trams. The city has two bus lines that stop near he most popular tourist attractions and they are free.

There is also quite a bit to see and do.

Posted by
6113 posts

Manchester is a much better base than Chester for exploring other parts as it has better transport links. geovagriffith is incorrect as you can’t see southern England from here.

Posted by
7668 posts

My only encounter with Manchester was encountering lots of heavy traffic.
Also, look up TripAdvisor, things to do in Manchester. It gives you over a dozen things to do and only a couple are in the city, the rest or getting out of the city and visiting the Lake District, N. Wales or other places.

Perhaps connecting with trains would not be so bad in Manchester, but the British countryside is amazing and if you want to see places like N. Wales, the Cotswolds, The Lake District, etc., you would need a rental car.

Posted by
15013 posts

Perhaps connecting with trains would not be so bad in Manchester, but the British countryside is amazing and if you want to see places like N. Wales, the Cotswolds, The Lake District, etc., you would need a rental car.

While a car would be beneficial, I've been all over those areas via public transit and local tours. I prefer to leave the driving to someone else so I can enjoy the scenery.

I would also not try to do day trips to N Wales, the Cotswolds or the Lake District from Manchester as the commute would be too long. And since the OP has said she has visited the UK numerous times in the past, she is probably concentrating on this section of England.

Posted by
4044 posts

As a major player in the Industrial Revolution, Manchester is a gearhead playground.
The Industry and Science Museum goes from old steam engines to the age of flight and is easily worth a half day. //www.scienceandindustrymuseum.org.uk/
To see Liverpool, how about a cruise on the historic ship canal linking Manchester to the ocean. Go by boat one way and modern transit in reverse. Here is one line:
https://www.merseyferries.co.uk/our-cruises/manchester-ship-canal-cruise/#timetable-grid
The city art gallery has a reasonable collection of English history paintings and there is an imposing old library too. Manchester University sprawlls along Curry Mile where hungry academics eat cheap.

Posted by
470 posts

The oldest working steam engine in the world dating from 1779 is in the Thinktank in Birmingham
It was used to pump water to the top of a flight of locks in the canal at Smethwick

Posted by
70 posts

Just be aware that the Science and Industry museum is currently undergoing restoration works and the steam hall is closed until next year I believe. The air museum has gone permanently and the cotton hall with its working looms (when the operators are in attendance) and an interactive experiment floor aimed at kids is all that is open.

Posted by
1446 posts

I loved the idea of the steam engine in Birmingham - my husband loves those. But, it was also interesting to hear that some things are not open. One of my fears has been what would be open? I know here in the US we've had things close since Covid. How much of that is true in the UK?

Posted by
4044 posts

Riiwire: Thanks for the update although I am sad to hear of the museum's reduced scale.