Please sign in to post.

Luton to London Bridge

You guys have been so very helpful! Another question- we arrived at Luton on Wed June 5 at 1:05pm. Our AirBnB is by London Bridge. Google Maps says National Express-->Jubilee or Thameslink. The second option seems more direct...? I read online last night that to get on the shuttle to the Thameslink I need to prepurchase tickets online.... my concern is that if I buy tickets and my plane is late, etc. Any thoughts or advice? thanks!

*edit: I also notice from the AirBnb to LGW when we leave is Thameslink as well.

Posted by
2508 posts

Take the shuttle bus from the airport to Luton Airport Parkway station.

Take a Thameslink train direct to London Bridge station.

No need to buy tickets online.

https://www.london-luton.co.uk/to-and-from-lla

(Scroll down and choose the Rail option on the above webpage. London Bridge is the stop after Blackfriars on the map).

Posted by
71 posts

Thanks! It says online I get a "group save" (4 people). Will I get that not on the internet as well?

Posted by
4684 posts

If you have trouble booking online there is a rail ticket office near the arrivals at Luton Airport.

Posted by
4518 posts

I’ve done this same double journey Luton>>Thames River Area>>Gatwick via Thameslink. I did buy tickets online in advance because the Groupsave discount was being redefined and I wanted to lock in the lower fare. Note that whatever ticket you buy will be good for that whole time band, not a specific train, so if you buy an off peak ticket then you can take any off peak train, same for super off peak, etc.

There’s a trick to buying the Luton ticket so that it includes the shuttle bus.

Posted by
32752 posts

There’s a trick to buying the Luton ticket so that it includes the shuttle bus.

The trick is buy the train ticket from "Luton Airport". Don't buy it from "Luton" or "Luton Airport Parkway".

Posted by
4518 posts

Will add a couple of things:

Arriving/departing London on a train is head and shoulders ahead of doing the same by tube, especially a train service that has stops near so much lodging it’s walkable.

You are somewhat insulated from the international tourist throngs both on this train and then staying near the river.