Please sign in to post.

Looking for Restaurant and Pub Recommendations for Bayswater Area; Chippie help.

I posted this under Reviews, and someone (Claudia) suggested I'd have better response here:

We're staying at the Kensington Gardens Hotel in London, just off Queensway next month. (This month, now.) We stayed there last year, and enjoyed the quiet hotel near bustling Queensway. (I posted a review then.) Does anyone have a favorite pub or restaurant near there? Last year we enjoyed the Italian restaurant Sapore d'Italia and had fish and chips at the Bayswater Arms. We also tried the Bella Italia Pizzeria, and the Argentinian Steak House, both on Queensway. Any other suggestions? We like most cuisines, but avoid Chinese/Japanese/Thai - allergy issues.

A related question: How does one identify a genuine neighborhood "chippie," as opposed to a pub or restaurant that offers fish and chips, along with other foods?

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
661 posts

Regarding the 'chippie', you've already highlighted a way to tell... If they sell other foods, they are not a proper chippie... Scampi and pies aside. A choice of fish is also normal, cod, haddock, plaice, etc.

There are traditional 'hot cabinets' you also find in proper chippies. Pubs almost never sell proper fish and chips, but i'm sure there are some exceptions.

There are four chippies near me, three are not good. Finding a good chippie isn't always easy, even for a local.

Posted by
8647 posts

Yes, 'twas I.

I was hopeful more of our British responders would offer some suggestions, especially about proper fish and chips establishments.

I know many regular posters have stayed in the Bayswater neighborhood and am also hopeful they'll speak up and suggest some nice pubs and restaurants to visit in the neighborhood. I'd recommended the Prince Edward and a bit farther afoot, more Holland Park than Bayswater, The Castle.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Posted by
6289 posts

Claudia, I just deleted the post under "Reviews." There was one recent comment that I'm copying here:

Posted by Rachel Washington 05/02/16 10:05 PM

I've had fish at The Swan and fish pie at The Leinster Arms (small,
seemingly local crowd). The bar area of The Mitre is quite cool, but I
think their restaurant upstairs has gone upscale--at least it was a
couple years ago. The fish pie at Leinster Arms was piping (too) hot
and super cheesy, so I might not order it again, but all were
perfectly fine places. Nothing super memorable, but nice meals. Have a
great time! :)

Thanks for the tips.

Posted by
32704 posts

more of our British responders would offer some suggestions, especially about proper fish and chips establishments.

OK,

best chippie? The one down the street. Really? Yup.

Maybe different in the big city where chippies don't lower themselves to the working class grub - but up here in the sticks all the good chippies have savaloys, kebab meat (at least chicken kebab but usually both chicken and lamb-stuff), and fried chicken.

I've never been into a chippie which also did Chinese food. Normally that is over the road or next door.

Posted by
11300 posts

Had a nice Sunday roast a week-ago-Sunday at The Champion on Bayswater Road near Kensington Palace. Got there before the football fans arrived while families were dining. It was quiet, good service, reasonable prices if I forgot about the exchange rate.

Posted by
8647 posts

Have not been here yet but when cabbies recommend it I'd their advice.

Masters Super Fish on Waterloo Road. Trip Advisor conveys high marks as well.

Still waiting for more pub and eatery suggestions in and around the Bayswater neighborhood to be suggested so Jane has good options.

Posted by
101 posts

My wife and I stayed in Bayswater two years ago and I can recommend the Prince Edward on Prince's Square. Fine menu, great British beers and a welcoming environment. The outdoor seating is a plus.

Posted by
231 posts

Try Hobson's on Porchester Road just opposite the big new Waitrose. They've gone into the space formerly occupied by Mr Fish and boast of having their fish brought in from Billingsgate each day. I've had several takeaways and they've all been nice. i hate skin on my fish and they've been very accommodating to remove it and fry the fish freshly for me.

If you're walking down Queensway (away from the park) take a right where Queensway meets Westbourne Grove and then a left onto Porchester Road. Hobson's is just up on the left.

Posted by
980 posts

The Swan is a popular pub for locals and tourist alike.

I don't recall any any chip shop that stood out but my standards are pretty low there (do they have cod is the limit of my requirements). Pick one that looks busy and you can't go wrong.

Last, be sure and try one of the Asian or African restaurants in the area. There is a good variety to choose from.

DJ

Posted by
2775 posts

I love going to The Swan Pub, they have tables outside. It's an old coaching inn, it's right opposite Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. They have great food.

Posted by
8647 posts

MrsEB would you clarify....are you referring to American Football or English football, respectfully known as soccer.

I discevered there's a HUGE fan base for the NFL in London. Saw my Niners trash the Jaguars a few years back and was stunned to see all the jerseys being worn by UK natives. Every jersey of every NFL team and in my conversations totally surprised by the fervor and appreciation for the sport.

Wembley was a sell out. Great fun and an eye opener to the far reaching arms of the NFL.

Posted by
8647 posts

Given the populous of your country Emma and what I've seen since the NFL started playing games in London I respectfully disagree. The popularity is huge and having carried on conversations with these fans they do know the game, the players and the rules. Don't sell them or their support short. Trust me, the NFL wouldn't keep scheduling games there if it wasn't a financial plus for them.

Nobody understands cricket. :-0

Oh and yes the Swan Pub is comfortable although a bit over run by my fellow Americans for my taste.
I prefer The Victoria, The Kings Head or Daniel Gooch.

Posted by
211 posts

Another vote for the Prince Edward. The wife and I have been eating there since our first trip to London in 2009. The management changed in 2013, and they went through a rough patch for about a year. But the last time we ate there (May, 2015) we were delighted. I especially recommend the shepherds pie.

Posted by
32704 posts

Having watched many many Test Matches over the period 1994 to date, every IPL fixture since year 2 until this year when I can no longer get it, many many 50 over and 20/20 matches, as much village cricket as I can, having been in the Members' seats at Lords when Brian Lara made mashed potato of a ball one over (against England of course), having had extensive and protracted conversations with said Member who was a well known County player(my cousin's wife's father), with Wisden near at hand for adjudication on the Laws, Boycott and Blowers and Jonners, and all the rest.....

ok maybe not. But I have a fair acquaintance...

Actually, yes I do have a fair smattering of cricket knowledge..

I understand the offside rule.... LOL

Posted by
6289 posts

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Although I'm not sure how cricket got in there? I did try some of your suggestions, checked out a few others for future reference, and tried a few new places, as well. Thanks for contributing to a great trip. I will post a few "mini-reviews" in the reviews section after I've had time to catch my breath and get all the laundry done.

Thanks again. You guys rock.