Please sign in to post.

long heathrow layover

This is a well-worn topic, but I will ask again anyway! I will be traveling from the US to Scotland and have an 8-hour layover at Heathrow (11am-7pm). I'm planning to take the Heathrow Express train into the city (for a walk, to get some daylight, etc.). I plan to stay in walking distance of the train station (Paddington). That sounds quick and easy.
Considering that I will already have my boarding pass and already have my bag checked (if I check), how soon to return to airport for a 7pm domestic (UK) flight? Is this just a security line (and airport navigation) question?
Yes, if this layover were any shorter, then I would just buy a day pass to an airport lounge (or the onsite hotel spa) and shower and nap, but 8 hours is a bit long to stay at the airport. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted by
6611 posts

Where in Scotland are you going? 8 hours seems like a very long layover if going to Scotland. Any possibility you can change the ticket? It would probably be faster to just take the train to Scotland.

Posted by
2557 posts

Two hours is the recommended time for domestic flights.

And just a slightly pedantic note 😎 The City (capital c) is London's financial district and nowhere near the Heathrow Express. I would take the Tube into central London - maybe Westminster or if you do mean The City get off at Monument.

Posted by
15627 posts

I agree with the above posters. The area around Padingtonn station is nowhere near central London. There are no sights there.

Take the tube into London either the Piccadilly line to Piccadily Circus or the Picadilly line to Hammersmith, cross the platform and take the District Line to Westminster. Figure an hour. It will take an hour to get back and you need two hours ahead of time for security and check in.

Depending on how long it takes you to get through immigration, you could still get about 3 hours in London.

But......what about changing your ticket and getting the train? Depending on where you are going in Scotland, you may actually arrive before the plane.

But.....if you already have the flights ticketed, and it is on one ticket, do not just skip the LHR-EDI flight. If you do, the remainder of your ticket will be canceled.

Posted by
4 posts

Thanks. Some replies: I'm flying into Inverness. (Return trip is from Edinburgh.) When I first booked, it was a short layover, but BA later changed the schedule. I've not seen rebooking options that work for me. That train trip would be fun in other circumstances, but accounting for logistics/schedules, it doesn't get me there much if any sooner. Plus, my plane ticket is already paid for. (And if I don't sleep well on the overnight flight, I might ditch these plans and just stay at the airport to sleep.)
Given how quickly that time may pass once outside of the airport (and needing to get back to airport with spare time), I am reluctant to venture much deeper. So I was thinking a walk across Hyde Park and maybe go to the natural history museum, or something offbeat like tour Albert Hall. It's more about passing the time than trying to squeeze in main tourist sites while nervously watching the clock. Thanks again!

Posted by
8578 posts

There are a few other options you might consider.

You could take a taxi (or bus or train) to Windsor and explore there. Taxi is supposed to be about 15 minutes.

It is a 35 minute bus ride to Kew Gardens from the airport with frequent buses.

Consider looking outside central London for your exploring adventure.

Posted by
4 posts

P.S. Two hours seems to be the standard recommendation everywhere for domestic flights...but I would think that is for people checking in and checking bags, while I can go straight to security. It seems I could cut it closer--but I probably won't risk going with less.

Posted by
5371 posts

If you are looking for somewhere a bit closer and especially as it is a good day weatherwise, consider going to Osterley Park owned by the Natural Trust. Less than a mile walk from Osterley station a few stops from Heathrow on the Piccadilly Line. You have the choice of paying for the House or Garden separately and the outer park is free.