Please sign in to post.

London weather

London Weather- Ok, so a stupid question. It rains of course. But I have found "rain" means different things depending on where you live. Florida's 100% chance of rain starts at 4pm and is sever, North Carolina's is usually severe, the west coast's a mist. What does it mean in London in September? There are different levels of raincoats that I would bring and carry around all day while touring.
Any Ideas?

Posted by
13906 posts

My standard rain layer for UK or any of Europe is a waterPROOF jacket. Many like the Marmot Precip but it's cut a little too skinny for me because I want to be able to zip up a cross-body purse underneath. My current jacket is a Cabelas waterproof. I only take one layer and it works for wind as well as rain. It's also insulating in case it's chilly. I want to be covered with a hood and jacket that comes down past my butt. I've never taken waterproof pants and never needed them for regular touring. I did need them on a walking trip I did.

Having lived in Florida in the distant past, lol, I'd say the UK weather I've experienced is nothing like the fierce pop up thunderstorms we used to get in Central Florida in the summer. I've had all day rain in UK, varying from light to heavy sometimes with wind.

As indicated, I would only bring one rain jacket, not multiples.

Posted by
1446 posts

We went to London in mid September a few years ago and it was hot! I brought wool clothes and turtle necks; luckily I some blue jeans and a denim jacket which were just right. We went north to Scotland and the woolens were perfect for the cooler weather. I had a light weight trench coat which worked great in the rain. Bring water resistant shoes.

Posted by
627 posts

The southeastern US gets double the rain fall of London. I just merely packed the same rain jacket I use at home.

Posted by
274 posts

We had sun and clouds but no rain for our most recent London trip. When I lived there for August and September previously, I never used a raincoat, it just had passing showers at random times. Had a small umbrella in my bag sometimes. Jacket for when it cooled at night. If any of the rain lasted a while, that was time to duck inside somewhere for lunch. Not anything like southern US rainstorms, more like getting caught by someone's moving sprinkler. :) September was warm & sometimes sunny the times I've been there. My friend who lives there complains about serious rains mostly in April or so, most of the 13 years I've known him. :)
Have a great time!
-Alison

Posted by
6113 posts

It doesn’t actually rain in London that much compared to say Cornwall or Scotland. Rain isn’t predictable as 4pm every day and can be anything from a light 10 minute shower to bucketing down all day, depending on what the weather fronts are doing.

In September, it’s more normally likely to be an odd shower, but this year has been nothing like normal so far.......

Posted by
5326 posts

The average rainfall in London for any month doesn't deviate that much from 2 inches with a slightly wetter tendency for late autumn and early winter (Oct-Jan). In any particular month it can vary anything from 0 upwards. Heavier rain tends to be from thunderstorms, the likelihood of which lessens as the summer ends, or from winter storms.

Posted by
14945 posts

Having lived in both Florida and North Carolina (Durham) and now a long term visitor to the UK, I can tell you that London does not get the torrential rains and winds of the southern U.S. Nor does it get as hot and muggy. I've never had a problem with just a small umbrella or light rain jacket this time of year

You can go days without any rain. As an example, the 10 day forecast starting today is for high temperatures ranging from the high 60's to the low 70's with no rain in sight. (This, of course, can change.) Looking out the window it's sunny and a nice day to be outside.

Posted by
27063 posts

My experience last year (Sept 6-16) taught me that I would be carrying a rain jacket (plus umbrella if the jacket had no hood) every day, because almost every day rain was predicted or the sky looked threatening. Once ot twice neither of those conditions applied when I headed out, but it rained later in the day. Not hard and not long, but water fell from the sky. As a tourist (unlike at home), I don't always have the flexibility to take shelter and wait it out, so I like to be prepared. It can be cool and breezy enough that it's not fun if you get soaked to the skin.

Posted by
55 posts

Thanks everyone!
Pam, I have a go to rain proof jacket like yours that I love but don't want to carry around all day if not needed.
Emma, I Have a very light role up jacket that is easy to cary and as small as the umbrella. With it being so hot this year I was thinking this could work best with an umbrella.
I had not thought about water proof shoes. They are packed ready to go. Of course I am not leaving for a few more weeks :)

Posted by
55 posts

Thanks Emma for the reality of not knowing right now. Making a decision right before I leave would make sense.

Posted by
274 posts

And I found that the more I carried around, trying to be prepared for rain/anything else, the less I ended up needing it. A small umbrella was OK by the rain gods, I guess cuz I could hide it, but if I carried a coat, the weather would turn hot; if I did not carry a coat, it would turn cold,... you know, normal Murphy's Law stuff. :) I think that's why they invented scones, when you are getting rained on, you can go inside somewhere to eat a scone, and wait it out. :)

Posted by
2775 posts

We was in the UK Sept 2014 for the whole month and a few days in October, never rained the whole time we were there. Last September 2017, only had a day of a few sprinkles, lasted about five minutes.

Posted by
927 posts

If the news calls for rain, take it seriously. As in expect a down pour and wind gusts.

Posted by
4300 posts

I take the same Cabelas jacket as Pam-it's important that it cover your rear end in case you sit down on a wet bench. I basically always take it on trips(not just England) and when I'm out for a day of sightseeing if there's any chance of rain, which I think is always a possibility in the UK. In June 2016 in Cardiff area, it rained continuously most of the day-not he deluges we have here, but a steady rain. Fortunately my LL Bean Sport shoes were surprisingly water resistant.

Posted by
2492 posts

I was wondering what cabelas jacket several of you liked. Would it be too warm for June?

I live in south Florida where we get torrential rain but do not own a rain coat. It is usually hot when it is raining so depend on umbrella. Climate in England very different of course so trying to think about what might work best.

Beth