Please sign in to post.

London Walks

Will be in London and thinking of taking the London Walks.

I would like to know if anyone has done the London Walks and if so did you like it? Would you do it again and which walks did you take? They all sound great! Has anyone one done the London Pub walks or the Little Venice walks. I am not so much interested in the museum walks but all the others sound interesting. Thanks for your advice and thoughts in advance.

Posted by
2737 posts

We do 3 or 4 every time we are there. I would recommend you follow your interests as to which to go on. We've not done pub walks as it's not our interest. The Little Venice walk was fascinating. We did their V and A, but it was rush-rush though stuff back and forth. The guides are all great and personable. Do not be worried about the "Walks" portion of the title. Most of these cover limited physical ground and are not demanding.

Posted by
1203 posts

Thanks for your response. I am not worried about the walking portion, I am a big walker! Wanted to know if the guides were good and if it was worth my time. Sounds like it is and worth doing. Happy to hear you enjoyed the Little Venice walk, as I am seriously considering that walk along with the pub walk and if I can squeeze another one in, I will. Thanks again! Great to know!

Posted by
437 posts

My daughter and I enjoyed the Secret London walk. Lots of interesting history, places we would have missed and tidbits of facts. It was very easy to meet up with the tour, no reservations are needed so it is easy to be flexible and take a tour that fits your schedule.

Posted by
905 posts

I really like London Walks. Among others, I've taken a Hampstead walk (don't remember which one though), the Jack the Ripper walk, the Legal & Illegal London walk, the Darkest Victorian London walk, and the Little Venice walk.

I really enjoyed getting to meet Donald Rumbelow during the Ripper walk. Richard III led the Victorian walk and was amusing and very informative. Shaughan, though, he has the voice and bearing of an actor - which he is - and had a fairly large group laughing during Legal London. I got him again on the Little Venice walk, and he was equally entertaining. I would go on any walk based solely on the fact that he would be guiding.

Little Venice itself was very interesting. It's an area I didn't know much about, so I had no idea what to expect. It made for a thoroughly enjoyable few hours. I definitely recommend it.

Posted by
92 posts

We have taken at least five London walks (including one day trip) over a few visits to London, and had a stellar experience each time. Many of their guides are also Blue Badge guides.

This is actually our go-to activity for the afternoon of our arrival day; keeps us outdoors and moving.

I would pick whatever suits your schedule and interests. Hope you enjoy your time in London.

Posted by
3747 posts

My favorite was the Little Venice walk.

I have also done several tours with David the Architecture Guy that were great.

Posted by
593 posts

Another enthusiastic vote for London Walks. I did "Shakespeare and Dickens in the City" and our guide, Stephen, an actor, not only gave us great guiding info but also did wonderfully dramatic readings from selected Shakespeare and Dickens's works that referred to the places we visited. I have 3 more London Walks planned for my return trip in March and I'm looking forward to them!

Posted by
1225 posts

I try to do a London Walks tour or two each trip. Which one depends on the day I am there and the part of town I am closest to. I have also done a Day Away tour to Stonehenge with them as well as one of the special Foodie tours. My most recent was Old Marylebone this past summer. What a treat to turn off of Oxford St - teeming with people, ugh - into a tiny side byway to begin the tour. The London Walks website is full of mini videos, photos, and testimonials. Check it out.

Oh, I have not done a pub tour, but only because schedule did not permit I look forward to participating in one.

Posted by
809 posts

We usually do a couple of London walks each time we visit and have always had great experiences. We did the Chelsea pub tour a few years ago and enjoyed it- we stopped in 4 pubs, if I remember correctly. I think each pub had a different Pimms cup (different alcohol base) and I tried them all! Our guide also gave insights into the history along the route so it wasn't all drinking...

Posted by
9550 posts

Like Debbie, I try to do one every time I'm in London - I live in Paris, so I'm able to go a few times a year. They are a fabulous return on investment. The only hard part is narrowing down which one(s) you want to do!

Posted by
1203 posts

Thank you everyone on your great responses! Well, I will make sure I go on the walks. Really want to do the Pub walk and the Little Vencie walk. They all look good, will have to go again! But for now I will go on those two and if I have time another walk.