Please sign in to post.

London Underground Strikes 5 to 12 January 2024

Members of the RMT Union will be striking on the London Underground from 5 to 12 January-
Engineering and maintenance workers will take action from 18:00 GMT on 5 January until 17:59 the following day, as well as not taking any no rest-day working or overtime until 12 January;
Control centre and power/control members will walk out for 24 hours from midnight on 7 January;
Signallers and service controller members will go on strike on both 9 and 12 January;
Other fleet, station and train workers will walk out on 8 and 10 January.

Details of how this will affect services will follow in due course

Posted by
5767 posts

Chiltern services from Aylesbury run over TfL London Underground infrastructure south of Amersham. Chiltern are currently advising that, subject to confirmation, they do not expect to be able to run Aylesbury to London Marylebone services via Amersham on some or all of these dates.

Posted by
10 posts

I'll be in London for these strikes, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get around without using the Underground.

In West London for the first part of the trip, which will now be tricky--although it's nice to explore new neighborhoods--but the last few days, we're staying in central London and can walk everywhere.

It was kind of you to post this. I started to create a little calendar, but then I wondered if it's really not complicated, in that even if just one group is on strike, the trains can't really run anyway.

Can the London Overground run if the Underground is on strike, or will it be compromised like the train line mentioned by a previous poster?

Posted by
5767 posts

The Overground is almost entirely on separate infrastructure. The only part which is shared with the underground is the final section from Acton to Richmond. One or the other (National Rail or TfL) controls that section for both companies- I can never remember which.
Thus it is pure speculation at this stage as to whether or not that part of the overground may be affected- no one knows. Indeed Chiltern are warning of possible disruption through Amersham- not actually stating it will happen.

Until TfL sorts out who intends to work on which day we simply don't know how each line will be affected on each day. With luck the strike action will be suspended within the next 8 days.

I already have a personal Plan B (and C and D) for 9 January, as I am affected that day.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks for responding so quickly. I like the idea of making Plans B and C, and I'll do the same.

There's a great night bus route from Chiswick right down the Strand, but I tend to sleep between midnight and 05:00, so there's one option off the table.

I'll keep an eye on TFL for updates ... I'm going to have to download another app, aren't I?

Posted by
5767 posts

This is the latest update from TfL on the expected impact (currently the strikes are still on)-

Sunday 7 January: Tube services will close earlier than normal. Customers are advised to complete Tube journeys by 17:30
Monday 8 to Thursday 11 January: Severe disruption is expected, with little to no service expected to run
Friday 12 January: Tube services will start later than normal, with a good service expected by midday

No other TfL services will be on strike but some bus, DLR, London Overground and Elizabeth line services will be busier and affected by station closures where stations also serve London Underground lines. One-way or queueing systems may also be in place.

Posted by
5326 posts

Regarding the issue of sharing of other services with the Underground, a number of Elizabeth line stations in the centre are set up so the exit at one end is part of a pre existing Underground station whereas the other is new. The former may end up being closed with the latter remaining open, as the staff aren't employed by the Underground.

Posted by
5767 posts

Last minute talks failed today, so the strike action commenced 20 minutes ago.

ELIZABETH LINE-
TfL has said Elizabeth line services will not call at Bond Street, Tottenham Court Road, Farringdon, Liverpool Street (Low Level) and Whitechapel during the following times:

Monday 8 January: Before 6.30am and after 10.30pm

Tuesday 9 January: Before 7.30am

Wednesday 10 January: Before 6.30am and after 10.30pm

Thursday 11 January: Before 7.30am