Please sign in to post.

London Underground Closures Sept. 1 and 2, 2018

There are placards in tube stations, listing lines and segments of lines that will not be operating this coming weekend, September 1 and 2:

• Circle Line
  • District Line between Edgware Rd and High Street Kensington
  • Hammersmith and City Line between Moorgate and Hammersmith
  • Metropolitan Line between Aldgate and Wembley Park

There may also be something going on with the Bakerloo Line. It's listed in the online Works Calendar, but I didn't see it mentioned on the notice in the station.

Posted by
2602 posts

Thank you, acraven!

Emma, hoping you can guide me as I'll be in London on Thursday, my tube station will be Bayswater and my huge concern is getting to the Great Portland St station on Sunday morning to meet for a day trip--need to be there by 7 - 7:15 am, should I just take uber or a taxi? I had figured Circle would do it, but looks like it won't...

Posted by
2602 posts

Thank you, Emma, definitely helps. I was last in London in 2011 and recall being plagued by various line closures then, only a problem when I was absolutely trying to get somewhere at a definite time--returning I just took whatever other lines would eventually get me where I wanted to go.

Posted by
4684 posts

There's no need to post this kind of thing on the board unless you're going to do it every week, as practically every weekend there is some kind of closure.

If you're travelling to London and have very specific plans for the weekend, always check the TFL website.

Posted by
27104 posts

I thought this list was longer than usual. The following weekend, only the Central Line is affected. September 15-16 and 29-30 look dreadful, though.

Posted by
6532 posts

The tfl.gov.uk website does a great job of posting closures for the tube, busses, and trains. Subscribe and it will send you a weekly email of all the closures and works being done.

Posted by
5515 posts

If you go to the link that Emma listed and scroll down to ”Planned Closures”, there are documents with the planned track and station closures for the next 6 months. I generally check this list before booking a hotel just to make sure that I am not choosing a place where my transportation options are limited.

Posted by
4318 posts

Great idea, Laura. I bookmarked this. The closures acraven listed would have been a big problem at the hotel we used in June.

Posted by
27104 posts

I'm definitely taking the closures into account as I slot sights (tentatively, because that's the sort of traveler I am) into my London calendar. A day-trip to Canterbury has cropped up unexpectedly (contemporary-glass exhibition at the cathedral), and I will definitely do that on Saturday or Sunday.

I'm very happy to be staying at Notting Hill Gate, where I have access to the Central Line. There were some similar closures affecting the path of the Circle Line during my September 2017 visit, and they didn't affect me too much.

Posted by
4684 posts

acraven

Weekend closures on the railways also happen, and are much more disruptive to your plans than line closures on the tube since there's rarely a good alternative. If you're planning a trip to Canterbury, check on the Southeastern Railway website to make sure there are trains running.

Posted by
27104 posts

Thanks, Philip. I used nationalrail.co.uk to check on prices and found that the weekend was generally cheaper. Would nationalrail include as options trains that will not run 3 or 4 days from now? You're right that finding no train service would a bummer.

Posted by
4684 posts

They should know by now. Very occasionally you only get one week's notice, but it's usually about a month.